Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning : Do not buy acer aspire revo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Warning : Do not buy acer aspire revo

WARNING: DO NOT BUY ACER ASPIRE REVO

I did the mistake of buying an Acer Aspire Revo 3 days ago, and almost ended up with a nervous breakdown.

This machine is ( in all aspects ) UTTER CR**P !!!

I tested all distributions that I could think of (both for netbooks and desktop).

I also tested it with WindoZe XP, Vista, 7 and again it did not do me the favour of working.

This system just hangs up at anything that has a graphical desktop.

My Globascale ARM based Plug-Computer works better than this ****.

I ended up installing Ubuntu Server with Webmin and turned it into a File Server and left it there next to my router... at least, to be of some use.

Anyone here that thinks about buying one.... DON'T!!!!!
    Last edited by mikep_bluefish; January 15th, 2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: fixed title

Beans

Re: Warning : Do not buy acer aspire revo

Sounds like you just got a bad unit. I've been playing with one at work for a few days using XP Home and Pro without any issues. Was thinking of picking up one to connect to the TV I wish to buy display HD videos.

Edit - I did run into some problems with Acer's drivers for the Nvidia chipset(ethernet) and Ion LE IGP, they didn't work and would fail during the install. You can get working drivers from Nvidia's site, just make sure you grab the Ion LE drivers for the IGP and for the chipset, they are sorted in two different locations in Nvidia's sort. Also, the Revo is Ion LE, Nvidia apparently uses different drivers for the Ion and LE despite them both being labeled the same. The Ion drivers failed for me while the LE drivers worked perfectly.
    Last edited by Bateluer; January 21st, 2010 at 08:39 PM.

Beans

i just don't buy anything made by acer, its all cheap.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I haven't seriously looked at ACER for a few years. I remember looking at a an Acer desktop back in the 1980s (yes, it was an MS-DOS machine). The advertising made something out the the number expansions slots. Trouble was, by the time you allowed for things like HDD controller and other "luxuries" of that nature, there was only one slot left!
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mikep_bluefish View Post
    WARNING: DO NOT BUY ACER ASPIRE REVO

I did the mistake of buying an Acer Aspire Revo 3 days ago, and almost ended up with a nervous breakdown.

This machine is ( in all aspects ) UTTER CR**P !!!

I tested all distributions that I could think of (both for netbooks and desktop).

I also tested it with WindoZe XP, Vista, 7 and again it did not do me the favour of working.

This system just hangs up at anything that has a graphical desktop.

My Globascale ARM based Plug-Computer works better than this ****.

I ended up installing Ubuntu Server with Webmin and turned it into a File Server and left it there next to my router... at least, to be of some use.

Anyone here that thinks about buying one.... DON'T!!!!!
    I've got an Acer Aspire Revo R3610 and I have no problems at all with the hardware. It works perfectly with Ubuntu Karmic. I'm really pleased with it.
    I think your machine has a problem that is unique to your machine.

(I post this to redress the balance for others searching for info about the Acer Revo.)

Beans
    Hidden!

I must agree with those who say you just got a bad unit. I and both of my sons have one of these - #2 son got one first and his brother and I were both sufficiently impressed that we got one. All are in use as home theater PC's, although the funny part is we are each running a different OS - my youngest is running Linux Mint 64 bit, his brother is running Ubuntu 32 bit, and right now I'm just running XBMC Live, though I'm seriously thinking of switching to ElementOS (which is basically a Ubuntu derivative with a "10 foot interface") once it's out of beta. In any case, all three of these are running like champs and the only issue we've all experienced is that when using a HDTV as the display, there no way to correct for overscan. I know, if you get the updated nvidia drivers you are supposed to be able to run nvidia-settings and there is supposed to be an Overscan Compensation slider, but it isn't there. No, it's not that we aren't looking in the right place - we've found screenshots of where it's supposed to be and trust me, it isn't there! I'm assuming that's a software issue but it doesn't affect XBMC (or Boxee on my sons' systems) because both of those have built-in overscan compensation. Other than that, we've had no issues at all with these systems, and the video playback is excellent, particularly in XBMC.

(Note the overscan thing is not an issue with computer monitors, nor with many higher-end TV's that have some sort of 1:1 pixel mapping setting. I have an el cheapo TV that doesn't have that setting, though. And in any case this could potentially be an issue with ANY computer that uses the nvidia chipset, not just the Acer).

If it's still under warranty, I'd send it back and request a replacement unit (or a refund if the seller will give you one, and you are really that unhappy with it).

P.S. And if anyone has the Acer and originally didn't have the overscan compensation slider in the nvidia settings panel, and then did something that caused it to magically appear, please tell me what you did, because apparently some people have it and some don't, but it hasn't made an appearance on any of the three systems I've mentioned above!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

These kind of messages are really stupid, instead of trying to figure out the cause of your problems.

I got Ubuntu/Karmic with BOXEE running on my Acer Aspire Revo and it runs flawless ! Great piece of hardware for a very competitve price.

K.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You've obviously got a bad one. Send it back and get a replacement.
    Personally using a Revo R3610. Windows 7 is a little bit slow (as expected), but Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10 work fine on it. I can even run compiz on it with Boxee and Miro running, and also Windows Media Centre (in Win7 - for running Sky TV).
    You're not doing yourself any favours by posting a thread like this as fewer people are likely to give you advice/help on how to fix any problems.
    Intel E5700 G41 8Gb Xubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.4, WinXP.
    Revo R3610 Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 13.04

Absolute Beginners Compiz-fusion wiki Local Weather

Beans

I've just bought a Revo R3600 & v pleased with it. Running Ubuntu 9.10. Lovely little machine!

Beans

I recently installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix onto my Revo and it runs fine.

However, it will seem VERY slow until graphics drivers are activated! Once you've installed ubuntu and run Update Manager, reboot the revo then activate the graphics driver (Hardware Drivers).

This transforms the system into a great little nettop!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast