Thread: Application Launcher shortcut to open termianl and execute a command

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Post Application Launcher shortcut to open termianl and execute a command

Hello People...

I'm having Ubuntu Kramic Koala and i want to create a custom application launcher on the panel so when it is clicked it should open a terminal window and run the following command and then show the output for 5 secs and then closes the terminal... how can i do this?

Code:
    cat /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode && sleep 5
    the above command is what i want to be executed at time of running the custom application launcher. if i paste the command in a terminal, it will show the output for 5 secs and then terminates... that's almost what i want. what i exactly want is that, i want it to work like when i click on the shortcut launcher, it should open a terminal and then exectues that command, show the output for 5 sec, pause, and then exits the teriminal.

i appreciate all the helps.
    thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Application Launcher shortcut to open termianl and execute a command

Quote Originally Posted by alibahaloo View Post
    Hello People...

I'm having Ubuntu Kramic Koala and i want to create a custom application launcher on the panel so when it is clicked it should open a terminal window and run the following command and then show the output for 5 secs and then closes the terminal... how can i do this?

Code:
    the above command is what i want to be executed at time of running the custom application launcher. if i paste the command in a terminal, it will show the output for 5 secs and then terminates... that's almost what i want. what i exactly want is that, i want it to work like when i click on the shortcut launcher, it should open a terminal and then exectues that command, show the output for 5 sec, pause, and then exits the teriminal.

i appreciate all the helps.
    thanks in advance.
    Write as simple Bash script and create a link to that and tell it to run in terminal. It will open terminal and run your script. Just add a quit line to the end and it will close the terminal when its done.

Code:
    !bin/bash
    quit
    Try this, see if it works.

also make sure you make the script executable,
    Code:
    chmod +x Path/to/your/script
    olllllllo
    Play in the dirt

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: Application Launcher shortcut to open termianl and execute a command

Works like a charm... thanks
    i created a .sh script and the content is :
    Code:
    quit
    then i made a custom application launcher and choose the .sh script as command... now it works as i wanted...nice
    now i want to modify the output if possible, help me with this if you can...

when i run the script, the output is always a number, i want to do it like, if the number is zero then "OFF" should be printed to the terminal, if its any number other than 0 then it should print "ON"... i'll play around with it to see if i can achieve it myself, but if you have ideas, I'd be happy to know them

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down Re: Application Launcher shortcut to open termianl and execute a command

Quote Originally Posted by alibahaloo View Post
    Works like a charm... thanks
    i created a .sh script and the content is :
    Code:
    quit
    then i made a custom application launcher and choose the .sh script as command... now it works as i wanted...nice
    now i want to modify the output if possible, help me with this if you can...

when i run the script, the output is always a number, i want to do it like, if the number is zero then "OFF" should be printed to the terminal, if its any number other than 0 then it should print "ON"... i'll play around with it to see if i can achieve it myself, but if you have ideas, I'd be happy to know them

thanks
    I am not great at writing code but I would try to do something like this (again this is not exact code at all just a guess and how I would try it at first)

Code:
    if output==0
    echo "OFF"
    else if output==1
    echo "ON"
    end
    quit
    olllllllo
    Play in the dirt

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cabs21 View Post
    I am not great at writing code but I would try to do something like this (again this is not exact code at all just a guess and how I would try it at first)

Code:
    if output==0
    echo "OFF"
    else if output==1
    echo "ON"
    end
    quit
    Yes, i also had this in mind, to use if and else statements, but i get some syntax error, that's probably because I'm not very familiar with script writing...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

if and elseif might not be a usable input or command. You will have to do some research on how to get these results. Sorry I can't help you any further.

This link might help.

http://linuxcommand.org/writing_shell_scripts.php
    olllllllo
    Play in the dirt

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cabs21 View Post
    if and elseif might not be a usable input or command. You will have to do some research on how to get these results. Sorry I can't help you any further.

This link might help.

http://linuxcommand.org/writing_shell_scripts.php
    i see... thanks anyways...
    i think i know what the problem is, i need to read the output and then compare that output with what i want...
    cat prints the output on the terminal, and that output should compared...
    hmm, i wonder how i can read this ouput, maybe save it as another string or integer variable then compare it and print the output i want depending on it...

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: Application Launcher shortcut to open termianl and execute a command

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

status=$(cat /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode)
    if [ $status -eq 0 ] ; then
        echo "Laptop Mode OFF"
    else
        echo "Laptop Mode ON"
    fi
        echo "Terminating in 5 seconds..."
    sleep 5
    exit
    this script works with the above requirements...

cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wink Re: Application Launcher shortcut to open termianl and execute a command

cool. Glad I could help
    olllllllo
    Play in the dirt