Thread: Can't play or rip DVD's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Can't play or rip DVD's

Every time I try to play a DVD the application (Totem and VLC) either immediately closes or gives me tons of errors. But usually just closes. Also, every time I try to rip/encode a DVD (Handbrake and OGMRip) the application immediately closes as soon as I hit the 'start/encode' button.

I have the 'ubuntu-restricted-extras' package installed. I've never had these issues before. Anyone know what the problem might be?
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.5GHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 260 w/896MB DDR3 @ 655MHz
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (4x 2GB) DDR3 2000
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (2x fake RAID0)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Can't play or rip DVD's

Have you seen: This Page? Or more to the point, have you enabled the Medibuntu repository and added the libdvdcss2 package which allows you to deal with encrypted DVD's? This package is in Medibuntu because of some laws like the DMCA in the US which make it illegal there. It's silly and panders to special interest but that is the situation right now. Of course that won't stop you from installing it, just be aware of it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus315 View Post
    Have you seen: This Page? Or more to the point, have you enabled the Medibuntu repository and added the libdvdcss2 package which allows you to deal with encrypted DVD's? This package is in Medibuntu because of some laws like the DMCA in the US which make it illegal there. It's silly and panders to special interest but that is the situation right now. Of course that won't stop you from installing it, just be aware of it.
    I've played DVD's on Ubuntu before. But I've never remembered having to enable the Medibuntu repository to do so. Thanks for the link.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.5GHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 260 w/896MB DDR3 @ 655MHz
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (4x 2GB) DDR3 2000
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (2x fake RAID0)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by ginage View Post
    maybe there is something wrong with your computer, possibly your computer was infectted by some virus. have a completely check!
    please elaborate ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by blueshiftoverwatch View Post
    I've played DVD's on Ubuntu before. But I've never remembered having to enable the Medibuntu repository to do so. Thanks for the link.
    You're welcome and since this thread is now marked Solved, I guess that was it!