Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Survey request and comments

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Survey request and comments

Quote Originally Posted by BslBryan View Post
    24 pages of posters, and several people still have the wrong idea or misunderstand. Ubuntu will never ship with software that isn't free (libre). Though the option may be there. It is part of the Ubuntu promise. The idea many are bringing up of being uncomfortable with Ubuntu shipping with software that isn't free (gratis) or to be able to easily install it is also a very big misunderstanding. Ubuntu, even if it ships with codecs someday and breaks the promise, will never - and I mean it - never give away nonfree and non free software.

This poll's purpose is to persuade the developers of popular Windows applications to port to Linux, but with the money involved I wouldn't be surprised that if this became a reality, the software's box would have an Apple logo, a Windows logo, and the Ubuntu logo.

But in Windows, which is a fine operating system, - though many people will not admit it due to it not being free - there are tons and tons of third party applications that you have to choose from. When Linux is about being able to choose, to have an option, why would you limit anybody on those choices? If you don't want Photoshop, don't buy it. But simply because it's available should not be enough to force you away from Ubuntu. Sure, it's your choice to leave, but you're only contradicting yourself for leaving because of having a choice.

I voted I would definitely use every application on the list.
    I completely agree. It's about having the ability to buy non-free software if one wants to. Thank you, BslBryan, for clearing everything up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I totally agree with everything you so eloquently said.

Quote Originally Posted by BslBryan View Post
    But in Windows, which is a fine operating system, - though many people will not admit it due to it not being free - there are tons and tons of third party applications that you have to choose from. When Linux is about being able to choose, to have an option, why would you limit anybody on those choices? If you don't want Photoshop, don't buy it. But simply because it's available should not be enough to force you away from Ubuntu. Sure, it's your choice to leave, but you're only contradicting yourself for leaving because of having a choice.
    I would also like to add that not everything available to Windows users costs the end user money. Regardless of what many people, wrongly, believe there is Open Source and free software (these being 2 separate things) available to Windows users. I'm sure we have all heard of OpenOffice and FireFox just to name 2 fine programs that also have a Windows version.

I feel limiting Ubuntu to "free" software will limit the true potential of an absolutely brilliant OS. Sure the OS itself, as it is supplied, should remain free but please don't stop developers from developing great software that they have a right to charge for.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

voted

things that tie me (and my family) to windows/mac dualboots:
    • iTunes (iPod touch)
    • EAC (flawless audio-ripping software with logs)
    • netflix
    • games
    • Propellerheads Reason (musical instrument)
    • MS Office (compatibility)
    • flash plugin (it just doesn't work as fast)

Some applications are made with a level of detail and precision that I've never seen in open source apps, and I would gladly pay for that level of quality. (Propellerheads Reason)

Some of these, such as MS Office and EAC, could be replaced by free applications if more people used them. I'd like iTunes to use alongside other players, just to use to sync iPods. I'd already payed for Netflix, and it's aggravating to watch my computer do something second-rate (flash) when it works well on another partition.

I'm glad to see this poll. Even if iTunes or Photoshop never get ported to Ubuntu, I'd still appreciate that more work is being done to get their features into open source programs.
    theWrk@Lh-owon-sun:~$ ssh larry@192.168.1.36
    larry@192.168.1.36's password:
    Last login: Fri Jan 16 01:07:10 2009
    larry@zapcon:~$ music123 ~/Music/Abba/"Dancing Queen.mp3"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am not an 'open source integralist' and understand that there are applications which are only closed source, although there are valid open source alternatives for about 90% proprietary software, not counting closed source software which is also available for Linux (and often freeware).
    Regarding the survey, IMHO the whole question is approached from the wrong perspective: it's not Ubuntu (or any other Linux distribution) that has to support closed-source applications. It is commercial/closed source/proprietary developers who should support Linux if they are interested to- and care for their users on these platforms. Skype - which is one of the mentioned software in the survey - does it (although the lagging behind of versions compared to other operating systems is a little embarrassing).

Best regards,
    Lorenzo.

This means users should push software developers to create cross-platform applications, not rant at Linux (distros) because their application doesn't exist.

Bests,
    Lorenzo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Sorry, posted by mistake.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Give me steam!!!!! If i was to get that i basicly would never ever have to use windows again. I mean it works alright right now. But if it worked excellent I would never use windows again.
    I just might be willing to even sell my soul
    Phenom 2 x4 820 2.8ghz-8gb DDR2-Geforce evga 750ti-Samsung SSD 240gb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I was a little confused by what they meant about ubuntu platform. Does that mean it will be included by default? or just in the repos? What I was surprised by is the amount of non-free proprietary software is being proposed? Why would a FOSS project suggest that we should start including Proprietary software by default in our distro?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by drascus View Post
    I was a little confused by what they meant about ubuntu platform. Does that mean it will be included by default? or just in the repos? What I was surprised by is the amount of non-free proprietary software is being proposed? Why would a FOSS project suggest that we should start including Proprietary software by default in our distro?
    They are not talking about including by default, but just to try and make available by the vendor

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm so confused

Skype - can't we already get this from a deb, sure it would be nice if the linux one got new features at the same time as the windows one, but isn't that skype's job and not ours.

Apple itunes - isn't this piece of software legendary for metastasizing into a load of different processes and eating cpu and memory for breakfast, lunch and dinner? And further since it's not open source we don't even know what it's doing. Sure if I knew what it was doing and if it did what I told it to I'd love to use their music store and their pretty interface, but I'm quite fond of rhythmbox and I think effort is better spent working on rhythmbox such that even for die hard itunes fanatics rhythmbox is a drop in replacement.

photoshop - doesn't gimp do 99% of what photoshop does and then another 50% of things that photoshop doesn't do. All this while consuming less memory as well. There are a few people who still manage to complain about it, maybe better to first address their complaints before making it easier for folks to drop a huge amount of money on a closed source program that's only debatably as good.

hulu - I have never tried anything other than their web interface, which I think works quite well.

pandora - see hulu

picasa - see hulu, also doesn't fspot integrate with picasa/facebook/flickr? sort of making it, well awesomer.

then we're left with a bunch of stuff that I'm not really terribly familiar with.

For me, my vote goes to making epiphany better:
    -autoscroll not interfering with opening new tabs with middle click
    -extension interface more like firefox
    -close opened tabs with middle click
    -ability to rearrange toolbars so that address is next to buttons

So in the end I didn't take the survey, it's because it's not that I don't want to see the app, or I do want to see the app, it's that I don't really care, because I'm not going to install any of these with the possible exception of skype. And skype is already super easy to install, I just wish it had the same feature set as the windows version, and as noted that's really skype's job more than anyone else's.
    xubuntu minimal, extensive experience, lshw: http://goo.gl/qCCtn
    blog: http://goo.gl/yLg78
    Linux viruses: http://goo.gl/6OCKA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I would suggest that if Ubuntu wanted to improve the experience, they should hire a couple of developers and pay them to work on WINE. Linux already has all the native software it outright *needs.* The rest is just fun and games.

Quote Originally Posted by boriskarloffinablender View Post
    what do you mean by "appear"? we already have skype!
    And last time I visited the Hulu website, the old A-team episodes displayed perfectly fine on my Ubuntu box!
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast