Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Survey request and comments

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Survey request and comments

Quote Originally Posted by fewt View Post
    I was looking for the button marked "Focus on STABILITY not OMGSHINY!" but it wasn't there.
    Ditto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legendary_Bibo View Post
    I tried, and by tried I mean I did a half a**ed google search, and by half a**ed google search I mean I typed "eread pdg"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

We need more adobe programs in general, i wish adobe would develop programs for linux. its a big let down, i am a photographer and its hard to edit images on Gimp, when i really need photoshop and lightroom and such.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I guess you are talking about installed by default, and as such I put in gwibber, as I have put replaced windows with Ubuntu on 6 of my relatives PC's and they all want the social networking thing to as easy as possible.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rave Gloves View Post
    We need more adobe programs in general, i wish adobe would develop programs for linux. its a big let down, i am a photographer and its hard to edit images on Gimp, when i really need photoshop and lightroom and such.
    The thing is that's not really Ubuntus' fault. Submit a report to Adobe, they're the ones who decide what apps are made available to what OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Resu View Post
    The thing is that's not really Ubuntus' fault. Submit a report to Adobe, they're the ones who decide what apps are made available to what OS.
    This is true, i thought the guys at ubuntu would need to talk with adobe and sort something out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rave Gloves View Post
    i think the reason why adobe doesn't make programs available for linux is because they don't think people will pay it. I've been using ubuntu for 2 years now and can only remember seeing 1 program that wasn't free.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NoaHall View Post
    What does it mean by "The Ubuntu Platform"? Does it mean only Ubuntu, or GNU/Linux on the whole, or only Debian(and offspring)?
    I would assume Ubuntu and offspring, such as Mint. Probably Debian as well if these changes get backported.

Do they intend on improving Wine with these applications, or making a deal with the companies to get them?
    The way it's written, talking with companies to get them. I could not see them just improving Wine.

And what use would Steam be without the games?
    If the above is true, why would Steam even make a Linux client without considering porting the games?

Ugh, I forgot to add a program to the list: PlayOn. I have had nothing but Wine fail trying to get it installed. If someone sees this before voting, could they add it for me to make up for my self fail?
    Linux Registered User #457962

NoaHall is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by HangukMiguk View Post
    I would assume Ubuntu and offspring, such as Mint. Probably Debian as well if these changes get backported.

The way it's written, talking with companies to get them. I could not see them just improving Wine.

If the above is true, why would Steam even make a Linux client without considering porting the games?

Ugh, I forgot to add a program to the list: PlayOn. I have had nothing but Wine fail trying to get it installed. If someone sees this before voting, could they add it for me to make up for my self fail?
    It would cost HUGE amounts for them to get them ported to Ubuntu.

Beans

Skype is the only one of these apps I use.
    Still, I am against including non-free software in the default install.
    I would have no problem if they were included in the apps available via software center, as long as they were clearly labelled as non-free/freeware software and not installed by default.

Beans

I think that it isn't too realistic to expect companies that primarily develop for Windows to develop for any Linux flavor, regardless of distro. However, I think that it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for Adobe to make its creative suite available for Linux.

Regardless, there is another problem with this survey: Free, open source software. Ubuntu is committed to keeping its distribution Free. While non-open source software is permitted with user consent, you'll never see closed software included in an Ubuntu release.

Be that as it may, I think that Gnome Do would be fantastic if included by default: It looks great, works well, has a small footprint, it's Free Software, and is extensively extensible. Sure, you can install it from the Ubuntu repos, but it would be a great way for people to interact with their computers in a new way that differs from OSX and Windows. I know that Do is inspired by Quicksilver and there is a similar program in Windows, but neither of them would be able to include a program like Do installed and usable by default.

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast