Page 2 of 534 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Guayadeque Music Player Test request

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Guayadeque Music Player Test request

*Bump*

I'm curious if other Ubuntu users here have tested yet Guayadeque Music Player. It really does show great promise.
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by dartmusic View Post
    @Unclespellbinder: I'm curious to see if you find it snappy with such a large library. I don't know what he's using for a database, but it can't be SQLite.

The newest Amarok is basically unusable, still. It hangs constantly and leaves these kde_io (can't remember the exact name at the moment) files open at more than 1MB each after closing the program. And the collection scanner just starts itself over and over and practically locks the machine every time.

I was literally quite shocked at how fast searches were in Guayadeque. Everything was as snappy as you would think it should be. Playlist handling is much cleaner and quicker, too, than Amarok/Exaile/Songbird.
    As database Its using sqlite3

Beans

Smile Re: Guayadeque Music Player Test request

Waw ! You made my day. This music player is just perfect for my need : good cover art download, fast, AND you are maybe one of the first developper to sort the albums by year instead of alphabetic order, withch is just great !

Congrats.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cedricd View Post
    Waw ! You made my day. This music player is just perfect for my need : good cover art download, fast, AND you are maybe one of the first developper to sort the albums by year instead of alphabetic order, withch is just great !

Congrats.
    Thank you. Indeed you can select the album sorting in preferences alphabetically or by year ascending or descending.

Thank you for testing Guayadeque
    J.Rios

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thanks for giving us a player that actually does what it promises! Any idea of the roadmap for future development?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dartmusic View Post
    Thanks for giving us a player that actually does what it promises! Any idea of the roadmap for future development?
    Im not sure thought but seems like one of the most demanding things is allow to rearrange the library panels. Maybe allow to remove or add selectors and move them to the desired position.

Also I want to add :
    More translations
    IPod support
    Jamendo and/or Magnatune
    Export/Import radios to/from xml (so you can transfer radio lists from other sources than shoutcast)
    Lyric fetch script language
    etc

Thanks
    J.Rios

Hi anonbeat, I just discovered Guayadeque and have been trying it out. So far it's been great and I am very impressed with your work.

There are two comments I would like to make: first, I really like the facility to add random tracks when the playlist is empty, as I never make playlists and like to just listen to music at random. However, the track selection doesn't seem very random. Looking at the current selection, there are 12 tracks in the list and 5 of them are from the same album. Since I have a library of over 18000 tracks it seems unlikely that this is just a coincidence!

Second, I have a feature request: please would you add an option for a popup using notify-osd when the track changes? It would be nice if I could set it to show a popup with information and cover art for the new track!

These minor problems aside, thanks for releasing this program, keep up the good work!
    Last edited by kitserve; January 21st, 2010 at 01:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kitserve View Post
    Hi anonbeat, I just discovered Guayadeque and have been trying it out. So far it's been great and I am very impressed with your work.

There are two comments I would like to make: first, I really like the facility to add random tracks when the playlist is empty, as I never make playlists and like to just listen to music at random. However, the track selection doesn't seem very random. Looking at the current selection, there are 12 tracks in the list and 5 of them are from the same album. Since I have a library of over 18000 tracks it seems unlikely that this is just a coincidence!

Second, I have a feature request: please would you add an option for a popup using notify-osd when the track changes? It would be nice if I could set it to show a popup with information and cover art for the new track!

These minor problems aside, thanks for releasing this program, keep up the good work!
    Thank you for your help on testing. About the random you must blame sqlite random function as its that what decides what to get. I tried with my 24000+ tracks collection and sometimes I get the same track in 20 tracks but that dont happens often. If I see more comments in that way I will try to fix it.

I want to suggest you to try the 'Smart Play Mode'.Its like random but the tracks added are based on last.fm informations.
    Also wanted to mention that you can filter what tracks can be added in random or smart play mode by setting the filters. For example if you want to listen random tracks but only for a certain years you must first add a dynamic playlist that filters by year selecting for example year > 79 and year < 90. Then you set that filter as the Allow filter. You also can set as Deny filter the 'Last Played Tracks' filter to avoid to repeat tracks you already listened. I hope you enjoy all this functionality.

About the track changed OSD I plan to add support for it via libnotify.

Thanks again for the testing

J.Rios

Thanks for the pointers. I wonder if the smart playlist mode might actually be the reason that I'm getting so much similar music coming up in the playlist. It would help if there was a tick box in the Control menu so that it's easy to tell whether Smart mode is on or not. I see that the binoculars icon on the main window is highlighted when Smart mode is on, but I think that extra feedback in the menu would help too.

I must admit that don't really like the idea of my usage data going to Last FM (or anyone else, come to that) so I would definitely prefer to leave smart mode off, although it is an interesting feature.

Since yesterday I have another question, do you have any plans to add shortcut keys, e.g. space for play/pause, Ctrl^q for quit, Ctrl^w for minimise to tray, Alt^right to skip forwards, etc?

If I get some time I will try to have a look at the code and see if I can help you out if that's of any interest, I'm not familiar with wxWidgets but I do have coding experience and have been working with SQLite recently...

Thanks again for your efforts so far

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kitserve View Post
    Thanks for the pointers. I wonder if the smart playlist mode might actually be the reason that I'm getting so much similar music coming up in the playlist. It would help if there was a tick box in the Control menu so that it's easy to tell whether Smart mode is on or not. I see that the binoculars icon on the main window is highlighted when Smart mode is on, but I think that extra feedback in the menu would help too.

I must admit that don't really like the idea of my usage data going to Last FM (or anyone else, come to that) so I would definitely prefer to leave smart mode off, although it is an interesting feature.

Since yesterday I have another question, do you have any plans to add shortcut keys, e.g. space for play/pause, Ctrl^q for quit, Ctrl^w for minimise to tray, Alt^right to skip forwards, etc?

If I get some time I will try to have a look at the code and see if I can help you out if that's of any interest, I'm not familiar with wxWidgets but I do have coding experience and have been working with SQLite recently...

Thanks again for your efforts so far
    Thank you for your suggestions. I will set the menu to show/set the play mode. About the key I want to add shorcuts but for now multimedia keys are supported so if you map a shortcut to a mutimedia action it should work.

If you want to add this feature and send a patch Im more than happy to incorporate it.

About how smart mode works its not sent any data to last.fm to make this sevice work. Its a read only query that its done to the last.fm to get information about the current track, artist, etc

Greets
    J.Rios
    Last edited by anonbeat; January 21st, 2010 at 05:23 PM.

Page 2 of 534 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast