Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Return to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Return to Ubuntu

After one and a half year of my linux abstinence, I'm again working in Ubuntu - 9.10 64bit!

I must say that I'm VERY pleased with the results. Ubuntu was my distro of choice since the very beginning (well, almost - 5.04) and it's clear to me now that it matured well into one stable and polished system. I missed 3 or 4 versions and now seeing Koala kicking - wow, the improvement is obvious!

And oh, I'm still in love with Gnome and a fantastic New Wave theme! Refreshing.
    let it be

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Return to Ubuntu

welcome back brother

Beans
    Hidden!

welcome back.

ps: you are one of the few people who have actually praised karmic . I haven't tried it myself but a lot of people have/had trouble with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Karmic is the first success I've had with Linux. I've tried a few times over the years with various versions/distro's, but always gave up in the end because of various issues & hassles.

Karmic worked straight 'out of the box' for me, so I'm pleased with it!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by x33a View Post
    welcome back.

ps: you are one of the few people who have actually praised karmic . I haven't tried it myself but a lot of people have/had trouble with it.
    I've installed it on both of my computers and IMO it's very good. You should test it and see if you like it.
    Last edited by samh785; January 14th, 2010 at 04:34 AM.
    Sam
    Computer: System76 Pangolin Performance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by x33a View Post
    welcome back.

ps: you are one of the few people who have actually praised karmic
    That's not true. There are millions of people using ubuntu, and only a small % hang here. Check out the T & E section and you'll see a fair number of people that love it. Btw, there's always a certain % of people that won't like any new release. The law of averages dictates that, not the quality of the release.

There are many factors that go into whether or not someone "likes" or "dislikes" any release.

1- hardware configuration (is your hardware supported?). Plus, canonical never said they support every possible hardware configuration/computer known to man.

2- problem hardware. As a PC tech, I can attest to the fact that A LOT of hardware has problems that may not be obvious using one OS, but shows up in another. But hardware is a source of more problems than people think. It is probably more prone to errors than OS's.

3- level of experience. How did you go about configuring said install? What did you add or remove? Do you know what you are doing?

4- (one of the biggest) did you upgrade or clean install?

I could go on, but you get the point.

Considering I am a techie and build my own computers with linux in mind, it should be no surprise that linux in general works fantastic for me. Better than windows ever did.
    Last edited by HappyFeet; January 14th, 2010 at 04:53 AM.

Beans

I decided to WIPE OUT my Acer Aspire One with Karmic (full version, not Netbook Remix) and have to say it is the absolute best ever. Absolutely no problems. Welcome back, OP!

P.S. I also am testing the beta of Google Chrome for Linux. Excellent, indeed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by k64; January 14th, 2010 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Added image of GNOME Shell from my desktop

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Turin Turambar View Post
    After one and a half year of my linux abstinence, I'm again working in Ubuntu - 9.10 64bit!

I must say that I'm VERY pleased with the results. Ubuntu was my distro of choice since the very beginning (well, almost - 5.04) and it's clear to me now that it matured well into one stable and polished system. I missed 3 or 4 versions and now seeing Koala kicking - wow, the improvement is obvious!

And oh, I'm still in love with Gnome and a fantastic New Wave theme! Refreshing.
    welcome back, I remember you just from your name (I think we talked about it one time and about our shared interests )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks! Ubuntuman, good to see ol' chaps here again, feels like "at home".

I did have a problem with Realtek wireless 8185 card's ad-hoc mode, but that wasn't Ubuntu's fault, the driver was buggy. So I replaced the card with Atheros chip and never been happier.
    Apart from that, everything is so smooth. I installed 32bit Koala to laptop and 64bit to desktop machine. Both systems perform flawlessly, working "out of the box". Many applications that I used in the past are now much more stable and with better GUI, including the whole installation process, boot, shutdown. Many nuisances from the past are automated (restricted content, codecs install, unused package remover - computer janitor, etc.) and many new apps kicked in.

Two thumbs up from me!
    Last edited by Turin Turambar; January 14th, 2010 at 06:40 PM.
    let it be

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast