Thread: TeckNet webcam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

TeckNet webcam

Has anyone tried and succeeded with this webcam from amazon which has 162 favourable reviews but only one mention of Linux where someone says they haven't tried it yet. It looks exactly like another one on sale on amazon which claims to work with Jaunty 9.04 out of the box. I tried Google and the hardware compatibility and incompatibility stickies without finding an answer. For £9.99 delivered it's a bargain provided it works. I'd plan to get two - one for us and one for relatives - solely to use it for Skype. No plans for taking fancy hi-res pictures, no need for motion-activation, no need for tracking etc.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for an alternative that works in Windows and ubuntu out of the box.
    Last edited by underquark; January 13th, 2010 at 06:27 PM.
    AMD Phenom Quad 9650, 8Gb RAM, (2 x 1) +(1 x 1.5)Tb HDDs; 64-bit Lucid (ʍoʃs ʎpooʃq ooʇ sɐʍ ʇı ʇnq ʎʇʇɐᴎ pǝıɹʇ I); Dual-boot Win XP Pro 32-bit (although mainly use WINE or VirtualBox). HP t5730 with 1GB RAM and 160GB HDD running xubuntu 10.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: TeckNet webcam

Curiosity has got the better of me so I've ordered one. Watch this space (or eBay if it isn't suitable).
    AMD Phenom Quad 9650, 8Gb RAM, (2 x 1) +(1 x 1.5)Tb HDDs; 64-bit Lucid (ʍoʃs ʎpooʃq ooʇ sɐʍ ʇı ʇnq ʎʇʇɐᴎ pǝıɹʇ I); Dual-boot Win XP Pro 32-bit (although mainly use WINE or VirtualBox). HP t5730 with 1GB RAM and 160GB HDD running xubuntu 10.10.

Beans

after you get it
    open a terminal type ( gstreamer-properties ) click enter
    click video try v4l1 or v4l2
    you will like to have a program to look at the cam pic to adjust it with
    get cheese and wxcam 1 or both will let you set things

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have Cheese already. wxcam looks interesting. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Webcam arrived today (as did audio and usb extension cables, all from different vendors).

Stand will sit on a flat surface or fold out to clip to a monitor.
    Adjustable for most angles.
    Built-in mic (somewhere - can't actually see it)
    Separate USB and mic connectors.
    Cable length is about 150cm - too long for a laptop and too short for PC sitting under the table (hence the extensions I ordered too). Would be OK for a desktop so long as it's on the desk.

Picture using cheese seems quite good in low light conditions.
    Twiddling the in-line rotary switch turns on six blinding little LED's - fine for illuminating objects about 3m away but way too bright to look at.
    Haven't sorted out my sound settings correctly but the mic does work as I can hear sound coming out of the speakers and I can generate feedback if I push the "Front Mic" slider all the way up. Can't get cheese or xawtv to record sound yet and there is an annoying high-pitched clicky noise when cheese is running but all probably sortable.

Beans

I have this cam, but cannot get the mic to work in sound recorder or skype. Anyone managed it?

Beans

Actually it seems my problem is more to do with ubuntu itself as I have the general problem recording sound, my microphones are muted by default in gnome volume app and any mixture of aslamixer and pulse settings doesnt fix this. So I suppose the cam itself would work if ubuntu didnt have general sound recording issues for some people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

I'm on 12.04 Beta 1 and the webcam works out of the box, as does the mic!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Final release of 12.04, the webcam no longer works! I'm looking for a fix.