Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lexmark x4650 drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Lexmark x4650 drivers

Hi there,

I'm using Ubuntu 9.1 64-bit on Acer Aspire 5542. Everything has been fine apart from this printer issue.

Being an Ubuntu noob doesn't help either, I suppose, as I don't know if I should use existing available drivers instead.

When I connected the printer with USB cable, the window popped up asking me which drivers I wanna install. There were loads but nothing close to my series of Lexmark x4650.

Any ideas on how to get round this? Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you very much.

Regards,
    GS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Lexmark x4650 drivers HELP!

The x4650 is classed as a paperweight meaning you'll never get it to work.
    http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...=Lexmark-X4650

Lexmark are renowned for making printers that are completely incompatible with Linux.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

:S that really is a bad news lol
    Well, at least I know something now. Thanks anyway

Regards.

Beans

Shoot...I just paid $50 for a Lexmark paperweight but the pulsating power light works I strongly suggest linux users stay away from Lexmark. By previous HP worked great with linux...I guess I will have to go out an buy an HP tomorrow.

Zman

Beans

Here is a link for the lexmark driver. I have succesfuly printed over the network via wifi on opensuse. Not a paperweight!

EDIT:

I just got this working in Ubuntu 9.10 x86.

use "AppSocket/HP JetDirect" under network printer in the "new printer" menu. Host is printer IP address leave port number at 9100. It will ask for printer manufacturer and model for driver. If you successfully installed the lexmark drivers from the download you should be able to find the 3600-4600 printer driver.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ahillsbe; March 9th, 2010 at 09:28 PM.

Beans

Just figured this out myself and I am not very good with running the terminal... I was making it way to hard. All you have to do is go to the link ahillsbe gave, download to your desktop, extract to desktop then double click it (in Karmic) When it asks for your root password give it if you know it ( i didn't but I found a place online that told how to change it) They said it was dangerous to log in or anything under the root administrator but i just changed the password and nothing else in the terminal with

$sudo passwd root

after that the lexmark proceeded to load everything else no problem. I did have to set it as the default printer in the system/printing menu and restart but it seems to be working perfectly hooked up via USB.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by wordini; March 15th, 2010 at 04:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you!

Both Wordini and Ahillsbe thank you very much for your help. Those drivers work like a charm. I've just printed out some pages for my project. I'm using the printer with usb cable on Karmic.
    Wouldn't have known this if it wasn't for you two. Sorry for my late reply I thought this issue can't be resolved and ignored the thread.
    Now I'm gonna prefixed this to SOLVED. Special thanks to you two. Cheers

Regards,
    GS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ahillsbe View Post
    Here is a link If you successfully installed the lexmark drivers from the download you should be able to find the 3600-4600 printer driver.
    Sorry but this isn't solved for me. Upon driver installation i keep getting an Lua error saying there's not enough space for the widget.

Any ideas?
    This APT has Super Cow Powers.
    If I'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer.

Beans

hey sites, not sure if you figured it out yet but i just did a fresh 10.04 install and it worked (again)like a dream with the same method described above... make sure you do the install as simple as possible, everything closed, printer unplugged... then extract and run. it should work.. if you plug the printer in before hand, the new install tries to find it but it just doesn't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Thanks, Just followed these instructions and everything's working. My wife isn't so smug with her windows laptop now...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast