Thread: Frozen at installation

Beans

Frozen at installation

I'm installing Ubuntu for the first time, do not yet have an internet connection hooked up, 'll be hooking up via a TrendNet card once Ubuntu is through installing, I(I'm using a friend's computer to write this), and at the 34% mark under "Copying files" it freezes. The horizontal brown and tan striped pole is no longer moving, the mouse arrow is frozen. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I do a forced reboot, (i.e., unplug it if it does not respond to the power switch -- I haven't done anything yet)? Should I give it longer and see what happens? It's been about 45 minutes so far. The Computer is an old Gateway with a Pentium 4 that was made for Windows XP, but I had Ubuntu erase those files. Anybody?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Frozen at installation

Quote Originally Posted by maxwinter2001 View Post
    I'm installing Ubuntu for the first time, do not yet have an internet connection hooked up, 'll be hooking up via a TrendNet card once Ubuntu is through installing, I(I'm using a friend's computer to write this), and at the 34% mark under "Copying files" it freezes. The horizontal brown and tan striped pole is no longer moving, the mouse arrow is frozen. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I do a forced reboot, (i.e., unplug it if it does not respond to the power switch -- I haven't done anything yet)? Should I give it longer and see what happens? It's been about 45 minutes so far. The Computer is an old Gateway with a Pentium 4 that was made for Windows XP, but I had Ubuntu erase those files. Anybody?
    hold down alt+printscreen.
    Then press these keys in sucession (don't hold them)
    R+E+I+S+U+B

if that doesn't work (which is unlikely)
    then unplug

Then boot up to the Ubuntu cd again and choose "check cd for errors"/\.
    you may have a bad disk
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

No response whatsoever, (but thanks for trying). However, given how long it seems to take to do antything while still working off the CD, I think I'll give it a little more time before unplugging.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by maxwinter2001 View Post
    No response whatsoever, (but thanks for trying). However, given how long it seems to take to do antything while still working off the CD, I think I'll give it a little more time before unplugging.
    means its a kernel crash.
    time to unplug....
    p.s. did you ever check the RAM either?
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.