Thread: ZoneMinder in Ubuntu 9.10: Where's the web GUI?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Question ZoneMinder in Ubuntu 9.10: Where's the web GUI?

I was hoping to have a computer-based system to monitor some security cameras I've been planning to install as a result of a specific security issue at my house. For this purpose, I chose ZoneMinder.

Since I've used Kubuntu on a desktop system before, I chose to use Ubuntu 9.10 server edition to run ZoneMinder. I installed it along with LAMP and the OpenSSH server. I then upgraded all the existing packages, configured the network interface to use a static IP (192.168.1.200), installed nullmailer on its own from the repository (as suggested by a blog post here: http://www.rickwargo.com/2009/12/28/...n-ubuntu-9-10/) and, finally, installed ZoneMinder from the repository. All of this came through without any errors that I could see.

The problem: I can't find the web GUI. Wherever URL it's supposed to use is, strangely, mostly absent from the ZoneMinder documentation that exists. What sources I've found say that it's supposed to be accessed at http://192.168.1.200/zm , but when I try that, the Apache server throws a 404. I also tried http://192.168.1.200/zoneminder and got the same error. Incidentally, http://192.168.1.200/ on its own gives me Apache's default page, which, I assume, just means that's working properly.

I can think of three reasons for this:
    • For some reason, the Ubuntu release of ZoneMinder is configured to put the web GUI on a different URL.
    • The installation process did not install the web GUI, either because I didn't specify it, or because of an unseen error.
    • There's something else that's fundamental to this process which I have not been told about.

As I said, I've used mostly desktop systems. I have a very basic understanding of using a shell and know very little about how Linux and web servers work on the inside.

Any good leads on where the web GUI is, or at least where I can find out, would be much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: ZoneMinder in Ubuntu 9.10: Where's the web GUI?

After some research (reading /usr/share/doc/zoneminder/README.Debian!) I learned what I needed to do. Whoops. After some discussion by IRC, I did:
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /etc/zm/apache.conf /etc/apache2/conf.d/zoneminder.conf
    and then:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reload
    And the web GUI started working.

It seems silly that this wasn't done for me, but I'm glad that this solved my problem. As they say, RTFM, I guess.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Great Post... this helped me out!

Thanks for Posting!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hey there this helped me out as well! thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You really should mark is as solved, and change the thread title to make it clear it's not a question but a how-to
    Anyway thank you for the info, helpful in my case as well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I had this same exact issue, however, after trying the above command nothing is fixed.

I am getting a 403, permission denied.

running 10.10 server edition
    Last edited by xalu; April 5th, 2011 at 03:57 PM.