Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where's the files?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

where's the files?

First i would like to apologize if this is somewhere else but i am extremely new here. i am dual booting on a 10+ year old computer with xp pro. i had to get a partitioning program just to partition the hard drive and install xubuntu 9.10. so now i would like to format the partition with windows on it- but..... where the heck is it?? HELP!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: where's the files?

have you tried using fdisk or gparted?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Type the command:

>sudo fdisk -l

Then paste the output. It has information for every harddisk and partition.

Beans
    Distro

so i access this in command prompt? i am only used to the graphical display of files, this is very new to me. The only way i can view (c:/ in this case) is in command prompt? is it called command prompt or something else? thanks for any replies...

just to clarify- i am trying to access/view the windows partition from xubuntu. i have already quickly reviewed the starter guide but i didn't see it mentioned any where. i did see the drives (floppy, disk, usb) are accessed from the \media file. right?
    Last edited by onyxvu; January 13th, 2010 at 12:10 AM.

Beans

normally most help you will get here will be done via the terminal (also known as the CLI, similiar to windows command prompt) because that way the instructions will be pretty much the same no matter if you are running ubuntu, kubuntu or Xubuntu.

you won't actually see the files using
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    but it will tell us what partitions you have and assist us in helping you in hopefully finding your files.

When you boot up, do you still get the option to boot into windows?
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro

yes, i am still able to boot into windows but i am looking to format that partition to be rid of windows but i am still "testing the waters". i was going to do it the other night but i couldn't find the files which has made me more leary. it's definitely different... where do i access CLI from? i'm not in front of the computer now or i would look myself. i am not very familiar with command prompt, is there any other way of finding this info?

Beans

I believe the terminal is under Accessories - Terminal but I'm using a modified install with XFCE so my menus are a little different.

There are other ways but if we give you gui instructions, then it means you have to type things out in order to give us the info that will help us help you.
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro

you mean info as far as my setup? i can provide whatever info you need or maybe you could give me a link to where this is explained (preferrably with pictures ) i would like to learn this for myself but i REALLY appreciate your help.

Beans

right now we are just concerned with your drives and the partitions on them. easiest (I know you don't believe me right now on this but trust me, it is) is to open a terminal and run
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    then you can copy and paste from the terminal to here the same as you would in windows.

Beans
    Distro

when you say: "then you can copy and paste from the terminal to here" do you mean post the results on this forum or to a "notepad" or someplace to keep for myself to reference? i assume this is sort of a toc (table of contents) command?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast