Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to: change notification (notify-osd) colors in Karmic

Beans

Re: How to: change notification (notify-osd) colors in Karmic

Quote Originally Posted by brk3 View Post
    It's pretty surprising/disappointing there isn't a better and more flexible way to customise these notifications.

I was hoping to theme it more than just changing the color?
    +1

I don't understand why it doesn't at least support a text or xml config file... sure we can hack notify-osd's source code, but that means having to reapply the patches at every update.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the tutorial, BUT, count me in among those who want to know how to edit the position of the notification! I want to move mine to the the bottom right corner, how do I do that?

Beans

Great Job man!! Thank you so much

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by k1piee View Post
    Awesome howto, just one question though.
    What do I change in the patch to make it pop up in the bottom-right instead of top-right?
    Quote Originally Posted by auh2o View Post
    Thanks for the tutorial, BUT, count me in among those who want to know how to edit the position of the notification! I want to move mine to the the bottom right corner, how do I do that?
    Same problem. Please tell us how to change the position !!! Thanks

Beans

Talking Re: How to: change notification (notify-osd) colors in Karmic

Hi,

As lots of people, I wanted the notifications to be at the left side of the screen. As I didn't found anything, I made my own. With my attached patches, you can put the notifies at top-right/middle-right (as usual), but also top-left/middle-left.

You need to download notification-osd's source from https://launchpad.net/notify-osd, and apply the patches attached. Then compile, install and change the location with gconf.

Use "gconftool-2 --set /apps/notify-osd/gravity --type int 2". Change the value from 2 to 0..4 and check the effects

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vitorbaptista View Post
    Hi,

As lots of people, I wanted the notifications to be at the left side of the screen. As I didn't found anything, I made my own. With my attached patches, you can put the notifies at top-right/middle-right (as usual), but also top-left/middle-left.

You need to download notification-osd's source from https://launchpad.net/notify-osd, and apply the patches attached. Then compile, install and change the location with gconf.

Use "gconftool-2 --set /apps/notify-osd/gravity --type int 2". Change the value from 2 to 0..4 and check the effects
    Left/rightness is actually dictated by whether the language in use is left to right or right to left. This is in defaults_get_top_corner of defaults.c toward the end of the function (line 2525 in my version). If you want to adjust the side it shows up on, that is probably a better place to do it than in stack.c. And it's easier too -- just reverse the if statement's logic.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by murphymc View Post
    Left/rightness is actually dictated by whether the language in use is left to right or right to left. This is in defaults_get_top_corner of defaults.c toward the end of the function (line 2525 in my version). If you want to adjust the side it shows up on, that is probably a better place to do it than in stack.c. And it's easier too -- just reverse the if statement's logic.
    Thanks for the info. But changing in default.c, I would simply change the default, without giving an option for the user to choose, right?

If this is so, I prefer the way I did it. I appreciate to have options.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12