Thread: Fan Speed on Macbook Pro 5,5 with 9.10

Beans

Fan Speed on Macbook Pro 5,5 with 9.10

My first post!

This forum got me part way towards solving the problem of my Macbook Pro 5,5 running far too hot on 9.10 karmic koala.

I can set my fan speed with the command:

sudo sh -c "echo 5000 > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_min"

for example, and putting the command:

echo 5000 > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_min

in /etc/rc.local sets my speed appropriately at boot. However, I have two questions:

1) When I suspend / resume the fan speed defaults back to 2000 which causes the machine to run far too hot (I don't have exact temps, but it's hot!). How can I solve this automatically so I don't have to remember to type the sudo command?

2) Many posts refer to both ".../fan1_min" and ".../fan2_min", but my machine doesn't have a fan2_min. Is this a hardware issue with the 5,5 Macbook Pro? Otherwise, ideas on how I can see and control fan2 as well?

Thanks a bunch!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Fan Speed on Macbook Pro 5,5 with 9.10

Your problems is probably related to fan speed and cpu frequency scaling

Sensors (temps & fans)

Edit /etc/modules:

gksudo gedit /etc/modules

And add to the end:

coretemp

To enable temperature sensors.
    I had the same Overheating problem when my MacBookPro was actually not doing the cpu frequency scaling. The laptop was just in "performance" mode for some reason. I remember that it just began to happen when I did an upgrade to (karmic) and the second time when I tried to compile my kernel after a fresh install of (karmic) during the first days of setting it up.

Finally I ended installing a fresh (karmic), and skipped the compilation, so far its working fine by now.

best regards,
    Felipe