Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E-MU 1616m PCIe in linux

Beans

Re: E-MU 1616m PCIe in linux

Getting an error when I try to apply the Patch

Hunk #1 FAILED at 1415.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file

Not sure why. Does anyone know how I can apply this patch?

Beans

I have m1616 PCIe on Linux 3.2.4 ALSA 1.0.25 (git).

lspci -v:
    03:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB0400 Audigy2 Value
    Subsystem: Creative Labs Device 4007

/proc/asound/cards:
    0 [EMU1010 ]: Audigy2 - E-mu 1010 PCIe
    E-mu 1010 PCIe (rev.0, serial:0x40071102) at 0xd800, irq 16

I manually applied the patch (just put the entry somewhere in the list in emu10k1_main.c). If you compile ALSA yourself, turning debug to 'full' makes the log a bit more informative.

What works: I tested with 48kHz up to 6 analog inputs (including preamps) as well as outputs. I/O attenuation works. Bass/Treble works. Sound can be very good if mixer levels are carefully adjusted.

What doesn't work (here): Routing anything to Phones L/R (which quite sad, working on it); instead, phones always play whats on Dock DAC 1L/R. Couldn't get the wavetable synth to play (personally, I don't miss it). Output numbering is really not correct and very much depends on which of the devices / subdevices one actually is using. AFAIK the developer coded this off the datasheets, so there could be some addressing bugs on driver level. JACKv1 makes trouble here (FIFO read errors), JACKv2 not so much (tested for up to 12 hours without problems, but had rare, pretty fatal screwups).

UPDATE: I could not get MIDI I/O via UART 1 & 2 to work. Could be my bleeding edge installations from source; will repeat the tests when I am on packages / proper dependencies again. Had to upgrade alsa-lib and jack from source. Also added "snd-emu10k1 seq_ports=0" module option to remove the 32 (!) unneccessary MIDI wavetable synth devices.

What I haven't tested yet: S/PDIF.

What I can't test: ADAT.

I would be very happy if other 1010B / 1616m users could tell me if only I have the afformentioned problems.
    Last edited by tilt12345678; February 18th, 2012 at 11:04 PM.

Beans

Thanks for the info. I'll load mine up tonight, run some tests and let you know what happens.

Beans

I am now on

• linux kernel 3.2.4 with shipped ALSA 1.0.25
    • installed alsa-firmware 1.0.25
    • manually applied patch to emu10k1_main.c

and system works as described above.

GIT version of ALSA actually caused massive problems with libasound & all tools that use it (pretty much everything).
    Dock ADC capture levels are very low (using it with a "line level" synthesizer outputs, disabled 14dB input padding), I wonder if this is intentional.
    Still unable to explicitly route anything to Phones L/R!

Otherwise - hey it works, let's use it!
    Last edited by tilt12345678; February 22nd, 2012 at 04:00 AM.

Beans

After a couple weeks of banging my head in the wall I finally got it. From a clean ubuntu 11 x64 install i just had to install the new 1.0.25 ALSA drivers and thats it. No patching or compiling was necessary. Looks like the issues have been addressed in the latest ALSA release. Everything works including the headphones. Havn't tested the midi yet so i'll update later.
    Last edited by Abanom; February 28th, 2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Problem Solved

Beans

The card should appear as three devices:

device 0: emu10k1 [ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback]
    device 2: emu10k1 efx [Multichannel Capture/PT Playback]
    device 3: emu10k1 [Multichannel Playback]

Suppose your card is "hw:0"; for having more than 2 capture channels, use "hw:0,2"; for more than 2 playback channels, use "hw:0,3".

Important: when I leave those devices on for a longer time, the dock gets really hot (and I mean hot). When I only use 2/2 it only gets slightly warm.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Abanom View Post
    After a couple weeks of banging my head in the wall I finally got it. From a clean ubuntu 11 x64 install i just had to install the new 1.0.25 ALSA drivers and thats it. No patching or compiling was necessary. Looks like the issues have been addressed in the latest ALSA release. Everything works including the headphones. Havn't tested the midi yet so i'll update later.
    Correction, headphones are not working properly. Only able to route Doc1 to them. I'm also not able to record higher then a 48000 sample rate. Havn't tried the midi yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hello all,

Links to the patch in this thread are down but it still can be found here :

http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipe...ry/048602.html

And here's the patch renamed with .txt extension.

The card is partially working as described before, on Ubuntu TangoStudio (kernel 2.6.32-41-lowlatency).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Patch appears to be applied as in http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipe...er/056307.html

I hope it will reduce headache caused by configuring this card to work with ALSA for someone who not so familiar with kernel patching soon.
    It'll be enough to install and configure alsa firmware for e-mu card to work with Linux.

Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Most of the frustration and head-banging-against-a-wall can be cured with these sound cards by opening alasmixer - type alsamixer in a terminal, select your sound card and set the clock rate to 44100 to playback music, then set it to 48000 if you want your midi device to work! (Left/Right arrow keys to get to the clock rate, Up/Down arrow keys to change it) Bear in mind that with clock rate set to 48000, music playback will be too high pitched and at 44100 midi input will not be keystrokes but probably programme/patch changes. Also Fedora recognises and installs all E-MU cards out of the box and automatically - no patches to kernel, no head-banging-on-a-wall, etc. (see my post here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12318995)

Just trying to help!

PS two of my three machines run Bunty 12.04 - as of September 2012, my music PC will go back to Bunty as soon as the E-MU card issue is resolved, i.e. it installs automatically from the LiveCD!

D'oh of the year!

Set Internal Clock rate to ADAT and both playback of music and Midi input work properly! I have set sample rate in Jack Audio Connection Kit Setup to 48000 as well, this may be relevant.
    Last edited by Clockmender; October 27th, 2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Just found Something!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12