Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Positive Step for Bluray in Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Positive Step for Bluray in Linux

Quote Originally Posted by starcannon View Post
    I'm wondering what if any real impact Blu-Ray in linux is going to have. By the time it (blu-ray) gets working smoothly on Linux, I expect the rest of the world will have moved on to SSD or some other Flash Storage Medium.

I'm not trying to be trollish; but I think it is only a matter of time before flash storage takes the place of moving parts like DVD's, CD's, and Blu-Ray disks. Moving parts are archaic and prone to mechanical problems; solid state is here, and can deliver the quality were finding on a Blu-Ray, only cheaper too produce per GB, reusable as a medium to deliver rentals, and not likely to get scratched or broken. No drives to break down.

I look forward to that, and it has to be just around the corner, we just have to pay off the industries investment before they let us move on to the next thing I expect(as far as off the shelf consumer level devices like movie players go).

Just my .
    I don't consider it trolling, in fact, I wrote a paper on this not too long ago. It is my opinion that Blu-Ray does not offer such as much of a revolution in terms of data storage that DVD did over VHS. As such, SSD as mentioned by starcannon, feature advantages over traditional optical-disc based media and will, I feel, overtake the disc market within the next ten years.
    Linux systems are like LEGOs :
    they are infinitely customizable
    and limited only by a user's imagination.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post

Not true, at least in the US. You are allowed to make backups of CDs, but you are not allowed to make backups of DVDs or Blue Rays.

For Windows, which has all the attention because of market share, there are only a couple of DVD de-encryption applications available to break copy protection schemes. The ones that are left are hard to find and are getting shut down right and left.
    Well, then there is the problem that it is technologically impossible for a user to burn a copy of BD movie at the present. The hardware does not exist, and the software is little more than completely untested wishful thinking at this point.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...nos-prayer.ars
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In all this conversation about whether it's allowable to back-up this, or whetyher the DMCA says you can't copy that, it's important to establish which jurisdiction you are talking about. US "fair use" is not applicable in the EU, nor is the DMCA; and the EU has its own legislation that isn't applicable in the USA. And of course there are many other jurisdictions where discussion of European or US law is utterly irrelevant.

I realise that a lot of this quasi-legal discussion is about US law; but it is not very often precisely stated. Remember, this discussion started off as being about blu-ray technology, not law. And the technology is applicable everywhere, whereas law depends very much on locale.

Incidentally: I don't agree that blu-ray will quickly become irrelevant due to technoogical advances in solid state/flash. The content distribution industries will continue to use disks for a long time, as they are extremely cheap to manufacture and are relatively fragile, thus needing to be replaced fairly frequently. I haven't bought a movie DVD in a long time; but most of my friends and family continue to buy them, rather than download legal pefect digital video files. I can put a movie file onto a flash stick and take it to my brother's house just as easily as carry a DVD. But if the stick should get damaged or lost, I still have the original video file on my computer hard drive. So how is the DVD better? Answer: it isn't better, from my point of view. But from the content distributor's perspective, the disk is much better. So disks will remain the medium of choice for some time to come.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog photoblog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post

Not true, at least in the US. You are allowed to make backups of CDs, but you are not allowed to make backups of DVDs or Blue Rays.
    I live in the EU so yeah, I can make backups no probs.

Beans

Will this feature be still free for Linux after the official release? MakeMKV seems to indicate it will not be at least for Windows and Mac users:

http://www.makemkv.com/

All features (including Blu-ray decryption and processing) are free during BETA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've read several discussions that go the way this one has gone. Here's are my sentiments, all two-cents-worth:

Of course bluray won't be the final stopping point of technology for video. But it is here NOW and is the best available for consumers NOW. Nobody here knows how long it will be around; folks can only speculate. Someone mentioned "within ten years." WITHIN TEN YEARS? Crap. I can get a lot of enjoyment out of my bluray player in ten years. In fact my laptop with bluray very likely won't be viable much longer than 3 or 4 years.

If you don't have a bluray drive or are not interested in playing bluray (at least not on Linux), hey, that's fine. Freedom and all. But some people (like me) are, and those are the people I thought would like to know about the news in my original post.

Speculate all you want about how great or not-great bluray is or how long it will be around. My point is that I can now enjoy watching a bluray movie on Ubuntu while you guys are bantering. (no offense intended)
    I'd rather die fighting lions than being trampled by geese.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    In all this conversation about whether it's allowable to back-up this, or whetyher the DMCA says you can't copy that, it's important to establish which jurisdiction you are talking about. US "fair use" is not applicable in the EU, nor is the DMCA; and the EU has its own legislation that isn't applicable in the USA.
    Right. That's why in my post I specified that I was talking about the US. If it's legal for you to do it where you live, have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    So how is the DVD better? Answer: it isn't better, from my point of view. But from the content distributor's perspective, the disk is much better. So disks will remain the medium of choice for some time to come.
    That's exactly right. And we already know that there will be at least one more disc step before solid state ever becomes the de facto. They have recently released the specs for BlueRays with 3D video. The new discs are supposed to hold a lot more data.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnboy View Post
    Speculate all you want about how great or not-great bluray is or how long it will be around. My point is that I can now enjoy watching a bluray movie on Ubuntu while you guys are bantering. (no offense intended)
    Lol. Party on!
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
    If someone really wants BlueRay or HD-DVD if I am not mistaken you can purchase PowerDVD (linux version) and it works good. Plus you can legally watch you dvds without any codec legal issues.
    Are you sure?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Digital downloads is where technology is heading. Soon your TV itself will be able to get anything availbe to watch. No extra boxes or playback devices, just you and your TV.

How do I know this... I went to CES.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12