Thread: What is cinepaint?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

What is cinepaint?

Whenever i see a thread about 2d animation, i see cinepaint mentioned at least once. But the last time i used cinepaint, all i remember being able to do is .. paint and edit images.
    So is it a paint program? or an animation program?

Also, I often see it advertised as something to touch up movies. Does that mean i can edit videos frame by frame?
    ~

Beans

Re: What is cinepaint?

The cinepaint homepage (http://www.cinepaint.org/about.html) says:

CinePaint is a deep paint image retouching tool that supports higher color fidelity than ordinary painting tools.

CinePaint is used to retouch feature films and in pro photography. CinePaint opens high fidelity image file formats such as DPX, 16-bit TIFF, and OpenEXR, and conventional formats like JPEG and PNG. It has a flipbook for movie playback of image sequences in RAM. It supports 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit color channels, HDR and CMS.
    CinePaint is used for motion picture frame-by-frame retouching, dirt removal, wire rig removal, render repair, background plates, and painting 3D model textures. It's been used on many feature films, including The Last Samurai where it was used to add flying arrows.
    For still photography, CinePaint can import bracketed HDR exposures. It has gallery-quality 16-bit per channel color printing with GutenPrint. CinePaint's high dynamic range is crucial with B&W still photography, where images only have a single channel.

Beans

I think it used top be called filmGimp which we used instead of Photoshop. as pShop was (at the time)
    a: not able to open float / .exr / 32bit images
    b: not available for linux (still isnt far as I know).

Cinepaint will open a sequence of images for you in a flip book(.tifs, .tgas etc)
    but I am not sure if it will open a quicktime or "video track".
    It is basically a "deep" paint package with an excellent colour space.

I am new to actually using linux on my own, but back in the day all the high end kit ran on red hat or rpm based packages (if that's correct). Gimp/ filmgimp / cinepaint has been in more movies than I care to recall

have a read here perhaps:http://www.cinepaint.org/docs/wiki/T...urceTools.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

thanks, lorsen and togril
    ~