Thread: Adjust sound scale?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Adjust sound scale?

I guess a picture tells a thousand words, so I guess two pictures would tell two thousand words.

I was just wondering if there is a way to adjust the sound volume slider, because the sound seems to bottom out long before the "slider" reaches 0.

Below are two pictures showing the output volume slider. One of the pictures has the volume slider in a location where I have absolutely no sound whatsoever (it might as well be muted). The other picture was taken with the sound playing. If you can tell the difference between the pictures, you are a better person than I am.

When the sound does kick on, it seems to be a lot louder than the difference in position would indicate.

I should add that I am using a Dell Latitude D620 laptop and am running Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit. The cutoff is the same whether I'm listening to the speakers or through headphones (although I hear it much better with the headphones).

The sound buttons on the keyboard work, but if I have the sound turned completely down (which I do most of the time), I actually have to push the "sound up" button three times to get above the threshhold where any sound comes out.

I was basically wondering if there was any way I can adjust the scale so that "mute" is a bit closer to 0. This isn't a huge problem, but it is an annoyance.

And for reference, the first picture is the sound on picture, the second is with sound off. But with the first picture, I hear the sound perfectly, but with the second picture, I get absolutely no sound at all.
    ----
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Linux user # 384496
    Ubuntu user # 15390

Beans

Re: Adjust sound scale?

This is no help but it is the same on Dell Latitude D600 and D610 as well...