Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Panp4n slow after suspend/hibernate

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    3,187

    Panp4n slow after suspend/hibernate

    Lately I have been having problems with my Panp4n, after suspend/hibernate the graphics sets very slow. Some of the things that happen:

    - compiz cube is choppy
    - windows take longer to open/minimize
    - Hulu player gets very choppy (cannot be used)
    - Windows under virtual box takes longer to start and it takes even longer for it open any app, then you can see how it is drawing the screen line by line
    - wine games get slower
    - youtube also seems to get slower
    - regular apps that do not involve graphics work fine

    Reboot fixes all of those issues and the problem is present in both Gnome and XFCE. My guess is it is nvidia driver issue.

    This is my wife's laptop so I am not sure exactly when the poblem first appeared.

    PS: Just noticed that the new kernel 2.6.31.17 has the old problem with not detecting the battery. I switched back to 2.6.31.16 and I will see if the other issues also exist.

    Correction: the battery monitor was broken by the suspend/hibernate process. After reboot, it works fine.
    Last edited by 3Miro; January 10th, 2010 at 02:48 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Conn., United States
    Beans
    1,644

    Re: Panp4n slow after suspend/hibernate

    Add the CPU Frequency monitor to one of your panels. Then, after a suspend/resume cycle, open a few applicationns. Watch the Frequecy monitor. I'll be willing to bet that it is stuck at the lowest step. This happens on my PanP5. I have found no solution.

    Here is the bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/445186 -- Unfortunately, nothing is happening with it... I'm not even sure if developers even look at bug reports anymore. (I'm very frustrated with Karmic, aka Ubuntu ME). Then again, I'm writing this while in hospital... so that might be effecting my mood.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St. Paul
    Beans
    56
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Panp4n slow after suspend/hibernate

    I'm having the same issue, thank you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    3,187

    Re: Panp4n slow after suspend/hibernate

    Quote Originally Posted by HotShotDJ View Post
    Add the CPU Frequency monitor to one of your panels. Then, after a suspend/resume cycle, open a few applicationns. Watch the Frequecy monitor. I'll be willing to bet that it is stuck at the lowest step. This happens on my PanP5. I have found no solution.

    Here is the bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/445186 -- Unfortunately, nothing is happening with it... I'm not even sure if developers even look at bug reports anymore. (I'm very frustrated with Karmic, aka Ubuntu ME). Then again, I'm writing this while in hospital... so that might be effecting my mood.
    I will not have access to my wife's laptop for some time now so I cannot check this specific thing, however, by all indication the problem was GPU not CPU one. But then again, I might be wrong. Besides CPU has nothing to do with the Battery.

    On my other Laptop and my Desktop 9.10 worked better then anything else I have tried. I have been using Ubuntu since 7.04 on my desktop and I can say this is the first version that had no problems or whatsoever, it however, seems to have a entire horde of issues with System76 machines. Which in itself makes no sense.

    I hope you get out of the hospital soon. Oh, and if you have anger to vent, try a windows forum, it may be more fun.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Conn., United States
    Beans
    1,644

    Re: Panp4n slow after suspend/hibernate

    Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    I hope you get out of the hospital soon. Oh, and if you have anger to vent, try a windows forum, it may be more fun.
    My doctor will tell me today when I can go home. Hopefully soon. Hmmmmm.... venting in a windows forum could be fun.. or at the very least, therapeutic. "I was crying because I had no shoes. Then I met a man who had no feet"
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Beans
    384
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Panp4n slow after suspend/hibernate

    ive never noticed this clock down the cpu, but i have really payed attention to the gpu.

    I have seen performance in certain applications decrease after suspend however.
    In particular VBA, there is a world of difference playing your fav. retro game at 700% vs. %250, lol
    Laptops: S76 Panp5, HP tc4400
    Other: numerous old desktops/laptops running ubuntu or puppy linux

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Beans
    10

    Re: Panp4n slow after suspend/hibernate

    This is an older thread, but it perfectly describes an issue i've long had with my panp4. i generally avoid suspending it altogether, as a consequence.

    i took HotShotDJ's advice and monitored the CPU frequency. What i found is that my machine starts at 2401MHz on AC power, and 1600MHz on battery power. After i suspend, it resumes at 800MHz and i have the behavior 3Miro listed.

    Aside from this and the low battery life, i've been pleased with my panp4.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Waco, Texas
    Beans
    350
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Panp4n slow after suspend/hibernate

    Quote Originally Posted by smcoll View Post
    This is an older thread, but it perfectly describes an issue i've long had with my panp4. i generally avoid suspending it altogether, as a consequence.

    i took HotShotDJ's advice and monitored the CPU frequency. What i found is that my machine starts at 2401MHz on AC power, and 1600MHz on battery power. After i suspend, it resumes at 800MHz and i have the behavior 3Miro listed.

    Aside from this and the low battery life, i've been pleased with my panp4.
    I've always ran into this after suspend, both on Ubuntu 9.04 which shipped with my PanP5, then Ubuntu 10.04, and again on Xubuntu 12.04 which is what I'm running now. I keep the widget running to show the CPU speed, and I have a small script I wrote that will kick it up when I need the extra power. I don't think it's a S76 problem but just something with Ubuntu in general.
    Linux User since 1996, #242069
    System 76 PanP5 - 64bit Xubuntu 12.04

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Beans
    10

    Re: Panp4n slow after suspend/hibernate

    Yeah. i marked the bug report at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ls/+bug/364514 as "this affects me". Would you mind sharing the script you use to reset the frequency?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Beans
    10

    Re: Panp4n slow after suspend/hibernate

    Still having this issue in 13.10. My present workaround is to use the tray icon supplied by 'indicator-cpufreq' to manually set the cpu governance after a resume. i'm using `$ cpufreq-info` to verify the results. Surprised that this issue has gone on several years.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •