Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu friendly printer.. Canon PIXMA MX320?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ubuntu friendly printer.. Canon PIXMA MX320?

This is on special at **** Smith:

http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4b49b0...ct/View/XP3200

I think it should work with Ubuntu - the Canon website has downloadable .deb files for the drivers and even their own scanning software.

This one is cheaper, but I don't think it plays nice with Ubuntu straight away:

http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4b49b0...ct/View/XP5521

Advice please?
    Writer for OMG! Ubuntu!, Editor-in-Chief Ubuntu Gamer. Co-founder of media and software company Ohso.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu friendly printer.. Canon PIXMA MX320?

It really does depend on which one is best for you.

Epson normally work well with Ubuntu, Canon are half and half but if there's a .deb then it's a safe bet that it will work perfectly.

As far as the Epson is concerned, I could not find the exact model on the Open Printing Database, but there is an entry for a t20, which I would assume is similar if not identical to the t21.

Open Printing Database Entry

The Open Printing Database is a good resource for finding out how well printer models function with Linux and it usually tells you what needs to be done to get reasonable or full functionality.

Hope this helps.

Beans

hi humphreybc
    I'll be interested if you get the Canon Mx320 working for linux. As I'm interested in purchasing this printer also.

I've also found the following info :

MX320 series ScanGear MP Ver. 1.30 for Linux(rpm Packagearchive)
    http://support-au.canon.com.au/conte...100187101.html

MX320series IJ Printer Driver Ver. 3.10 for Linux (rpm Packagearchive)
    http://support-au.canon.com.au/conte...100187801.html

Please let me know you go.

cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hey,

I actually went down to the store today and they had an HP Deskjet F2480 for $89.00 - Printer/Scanner - can't complain! I bought that and installed the latest hplip drivers from their website and scanning/printing works perfectly.

I think the MX320 will work if Canon provide a .deb driver for Linux!
    Writer for OMG! Ubuntu!, Editor-in-Chief Ubuntu Gamer. Co-founder of media and software company Ohso.

Beans

thanks for the update.
    It's great that there's good support for all these printers with linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by humphreybc View Post
    Hey,

I actually went down to the store today and they had an HP Deskjet F2480 for $89.00 - Printer/Scanner - can't complain! I bought that and installed the latest hplip drivers from their website and scanning/printing works perfectly.

I think the MX320 will work if Canon provide a .deb driver for Linux!
    When I was looking for a printer in December, my first port of call was the OpenPrinting Database. I had decided on an HP printer, as their products seemed to have the best support in Linux. After checking the OpenPrinting site, the main HP site for specs, and local online and offline vendors, I settled on the Photosmart C4683, as it apparently works OOB. Not that I mind a bit of setting up, done it enough times with various peripherals already. Once it was setup, and I was ready to connect the USB cable, I checked and already had the HPLIP "drivers" installed, so I plugged the cable in, and it detected the printer and added it to my Printers automatically, printed a test-page successfully, and haven't looked back.

But yeah, if the vendor supplies Linux-specific drivers, there is a good chance it will work, more than likely with full functionality. I have tested the scanning with the HP as well, and works fine, will look at that in more detail as the need arises.

B

Beans

Hi, I bought a Canon MX320 back in September 2009 and got it working with Ubuntu (both printing and scanning, even multi-page scanning) after a little looking around. It turns out that Canon does actually provide a .deb -- but only on the Canon Europe website! When I asked Canon USA, even after I found the driver, they flat-out denied its existence. Let me know if you have trouble finding it.

Beans

I have had a Canon PIXMA MX860 for six months. It works great with bluetooth wireless capability and does scanning, printing and faxing. I found the best program to use was turboprint (out of Germany). Yes, I had to pay for it, but it provides everything you need under Ubuntu for the multi-mode printer. Try it for 30 days free.

Donaldt:

Beans

Angry Re: Ubuntu friendly printer.. Canon PIXMA MX320?

i have ubuntu 64 e canon mx320

NO WORK !!!!!

architecture error i386...

HELP ME PLEASE !!!

Beans

[QUOTE=neversleep54;8737240]i have ubuntu 64 e canon mx320

NO WORK !!!!!

architecture error i386...

HELP ME PLEASE !!!

on the web i can found the source
    if i compile it do you think that work ?
    how can i compile it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast