Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why has the forum search menu dissapeared?

Beans

Why has the forum search menu dissapeared?

Is it for the reason that by making it harder for people to search, the forum servers will have an easier time?

The new search method stinks, as far as I'm concerned.

We've lost the Backyard, then Other OS Talk, got the bullet; I understand why both of those things had to happen, due to the ever growing number of forum users, & particularly back in those days, the forum servers were suffering & were unreliable, also the amount of disputes created by immature egos, in the resolution centre by the Backyard, created the situation where the Backyard was just not possible to maintain with the staff available (many of whom never wanted it to exist anyway).

So due to the above the community here lost many old timers; a large proportion of which had enormous experience in various distros/BSDs & other systems.

Some of these now long gone people had collected many thousands of beans due to the help they had offered beginners here, they also really liked (& in a large part made up the core of) the enthusiastic community here.

Anyway, I've been hanging in here since the Backyard closure, then the Other OS Talk, closure, but I think the combination of the increasing proportion of meaningless threads/posts in the Cafe & the newly implemented, very poor search function has probably finally killed off my connection with the Ubuntu forum.

The administration/mods here are great, they have such a busy time due to the numbers using this forum. I take my hat off to you all, thanks.

& to paraphrase mips not so subtle signature, that he left as his parting message, after he had finally had enough of the way things had changed here:

So Long & Thanks For All The Fishes.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Re: Why has the forum search menu dissapeared?

You still have not clarified what is wrong. I can still see the search menu. See my other post http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...00&postcount=5
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This question presupposes a premise which my observations deem to be false.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Maybe that is just the way it is , in OZ.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 73ckn797 View Post
    Maybe that is just the way it is , in OZ.
    No, I can still see the same old(my UF lifetime) search

AUSTRALIANS, be counted against planned censorship of our internet here!!
    #nocleanfeed #openinternet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by hobo14 View Post
    No, I can still see the same old(my UF lifetime) search
    So you live in Oz too?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I, for one, would be sad to see you go.

I`ll still never agree with you though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to Forum Feedback & Help.

Sorry to see you're upset with the forum, however alike others I do not notice any changes whatsoever with the search feature. Perhaps a screenshot would help out?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Angry Re: Why has the forum search menu dissapeared?

Just to add to the OP, why did OmG pInK pOnIeS go as well?

Beans

I have just been out for a couple of hours or so, & on my return I refreshed the Ubuntu forum page, (which is where I had left the computer) & found that the search menu problem has resolved itself?

I struck this problem firstly around midnight last, via OS X, Firefox, then this morning on a later version of Firefox running under Arch?

Both systems were on the same machine which was off for about 9 hours before being booted into Arch?

I have never struck this problem before, & I put a LOT of hours in on the web.

Thanks to those of you who offered positivity in previous posts, I do appreciate it.

The rest of my OP, was a vent on the quality of conversation in the Cafe, which may or may not see an end to my participation here; it most certainly has diminished it.

In this case of horses for courses, I'm finding that when the course changes enough, it can become unsuitable for that particular variety of horse...

[Edit:] By the way, my apologies to the Ubuntu forum administration, as the problem that struck me, seems to thankfully have had absolutely nothing to do with you.

I still have no idea what caused it, & on two completely different systems though?
    Last edited by handy; January 10th, 2010 at 03:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast