Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help! New to Ubuntu, eth0 doing my nut!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Help! New to Ubuntu, eth0 doing my nut!

Quote Originally Posted by Dmoog View Post
    I usually switch the router off when we're not using computers, to save energy, cos I hate the thought of power stations rumbling away out there in the distance, pumping crap into the atmosphere just to power devices that aren't being used.
    Power stations don't work that way... it is too difficult to turn the power output up and down each day and night, so they cover what they can and waste lots and lots of power (and so fossil fuels) every night.

sorry this was not ubuntu related but it thought it best to say for the sake of the router
    http://2.1.1.2/ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dmoog View Post
    udo ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492
    [sudo] password for dan:
    dan@dan-desktop:~$ ifconfig | grep MTU
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

Yes! That worked. Fantastic.

So.... is that a permanent fix? Or more tweaking required?
    i've got a very very similar problem... but that trick didnt' work for me...

any ideas?
    thanx

Beans

Thank you! I was redirected here from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10497114 where I posted a problem about being unable to access yahoo mail and facebook (but could successfully access everything else I tested). Dropping the MTU from 1500 to 1492 saved the day. This was on multiple systems that had been working fine for months so I guess something in the infrastructure between my network and the problem sites changed or maybe up to that point perhaps no packets over 1492 were being exchanged? In any case, thanks again, this really saved my bacon.

Talking Re: Help! New to Ubuntu, eth0 doing my nut!

Yeah, I was having the same problem with Firefox and Chrome on Ubuntu 10.10, on two different machines on the network, but the Windows XP and 7 machines had no problems. Went into my router and changed the MTU to 1492 and all is well. Thanks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234