Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can a real noob learn by doing with chance for free computer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Can a real noob learn by doing with chance for free computer?

Some of you may know how much of a beginner and plus how dense I can be while trying to grasp the concepts.

You may remember that I was given this computer by a friend a few months ago...now he has offered me another one if I want to play with it. THIS one he set up for me with Jaunty. (He's a computer expert and he has gotten quite a few 5-year-old Dells from a school that lost its funding.)

He asked if I want it wiped clean or as is with some kind of MS, or even installed with Jaunty or now even Karmic.

My inclination is to get it as is and navigate through any steps to get it in working order and ultimately with the next best LTS. (Will that be 10.4 ?)

I would appreciate the benefit of your knowledge and experience before jumping off, so what's your opinion?
    It's not so much about weathering the storm as it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Can a real noob learn by doing with chance for free computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Edgell View Post
    Some of you may know how much of a beginner and plus how dense I can be while trying to grasp the concepts.

You may remember that I was given this computer by a friend a few months ago...now he has offered me another one if I want to play with it. THIS one he set up for me with Jaunty. (He's a computer expert and he has gotten quite a few 5-year-old Dells from a school that lost its funding.)

He asked if I want it wiped clean or as is with some kind of MS, or even installed with Jaunty or now even Karmic.

My inclination is to get it as is and navigate through any steps to get it in working order and ultimately with the next best LTS. (Will that be 10.4 ?)

I would appreciate the benefit of your knowledge and experience before jumping off, so what's your opinion?
    Get it as is .... get under the hood by doing/experimenting partitioning, installation, termial, etc. on your own .... have fun doing so (as it is a spare computer, anyways)

happy ubuntu-ing.

Raymond
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by raymondh View Post
    Get it as is .... get under the hood by doing/experimenting partitioning, installation, termial, etc. on your own .... have fun doing so (as it is a spare computer, anyways)

happy ubuntu-ing.

Raymond
    Agreed. If you already have a production computer you're happy with and your getting this one for free, take it as is and giver 'er 'ell!!! You'll learn so much more by diving in yourself, possibly/probably/hopefully screwing it up, and then fixing it.

I'm so jealous....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Take it either with Windows (if you use windows), those liscences do not come free, or wiped clean (if you are paranoid). It is not *that* hare to partition and install an OS and that is the only way for you to play and learn for yourself.

Of course, Ubuntu is Open Source, which means if you break it you get to keep both pieces.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Definitely take it as-is...you should learn the step-by-step needed to set up your own computer anyhow with Ubuntu.

However, what I would suggest is that after you have done so, also set up the new computer with everything exactly how you'd like it - all the software, everything.

Basically, live on that computer until it is EXACTLY how you like it.

After that, decide which of your now TWO perfectly good computers you'd like to use for experimenting on.

Whichever one you decide, you now have the experience and confidence of adding and removing software on your own. From there, the sky's the limit. Curious about something? Try it out on your test box first.

Eventually though, if you could, I'd swipe the ram from the one and put it in the other to double your RAM and have more fun with your "keeper."

Cheers,
    Ghost|BTFH
    I am not here for your hearts and your minds - we have enough of those in stock, what we really need right now are feet and elbows...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for all these responses.

Could you elaborate on that about the RAM, how does that look, how does that work? Is it hardware or what?

Not that I'd expect it, but what if there were viruses or firewalls? How would that go? Would a wipe remove everything regardless?
    Last edited by Chris Edgell; January 9th, 2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Thought I append a few questions...
    It's not so much about weathering the storm as it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I finally got here to add my opinion -- and I'm solidly with the majority. You'll have a machine that simply won't matter if you break it, and that should remove lots of the trepidation you feel about making changes.

As far as viruses and firewalls are concerned, they won't make a bit of difference once you install Ubuntu. The installation program will ask you whether you want to use the whole disk, or just the largest block of free space. Selecting "whole disk" will wipe everything off first, while "largest block" will preserve whatever system is already there, clear off some space, and install in that cleared space. To me, the best learning procedure would be to first try it with "largest block" (just to see how it does it) and then after playing with it for a while, re-install using "whole disk" (to have the maximum room in which to experiment).

I'd also recommend that you NOT try Karmic right now; it's had quite a bit of change from Jaunty and even more from Hardy, so what you would see would be quite different on it. I'm seeing lots of posts about problems with it, on the forums here.

For the first time around, at least, I'd use the same version that your present system has (which as I recall is Hardy LTS, the same as I'm using here on all but one system that runs Jaunty). Doing this will make what you learn on the "sacrificial" box apply to your "good" one also!
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Up until three months ago I WAS running Hardy, but with this computer, I have Jaunty. I can see that it would be good to have the same on both (I'd wished I COULD have kept Hardy because of the LTS, but my friend had put in the Jaunty for some reason).

Shall I be checking out the size of the space, or because it's 5 years old will I assume I should be using XUbuntu? Will the first step be seeing if I can burn a live CD of XUbuntu -- Jaunty?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

See my reply in your other thread.
    Break it, fix it, learn something.
    People who never make mistakes seldom make anything!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Up until three months ago I WAS running Hardy, but with this computer, I have Jaunty. I can see that it would be good to have the same on both (I'd wished I COULD have kept Hardy because of the LTS, but my friend had put in the Jaunty for some reason).

Shall I be checking out the size of the space, or because it's 5 years old will I assume I should be using XUbuntu? Will the first step be seeing if I can burn a live CD of XUbuntu -- Jaunty?
    I don't know nor remember anything about you, sorry about that. With that very important question settled, I think forcing yourself to use Hardy is meaningless, if you already have Jaunty installed and working well. It's a different story if Jaunty gives you problems, but otherwise, there is no benefit of having 'the same on both'.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast