Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From 9.04 to ?

Beans

From 9.04 to ?

currently running 9.04 using:
    - old HP dc7100, 2.6ghz cpu, 1Gb ram
    - Nvidia 8400gs
    - Happaugue 1600 (uses both analog and digital)
    - pchdtv 5500 (uses only dig tuner, the analog died)

I have mostly followed the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule - so I've been reluctant to upgrade from 9.04. But now that 9.04 is now longer supported, I guess it's time to do something. 10.04 or 10.10 ?

Because things have worked so well during the past year and a half, I have to admit that I haven't followed the forum very closely. I checked 1600's myth page (still need to check same for 5500) and didn't see anything that would be a problem with either 10.04 or 10.10.

I'm leaning towards 10.04, mostly because of the long term support (does that apply to Myth, or just Ubuntu?), but don't want to rule out 10.10 if it hasn't had many quirks/bugs.

Any known reasons either version would have a problem with the above listed hardware? I guess the same questions goes for which version of Myth to use.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: From 9.04 to ?

Quote Originally Posted by mookie60 View Post
    currently running 9.04 using:
    - old HP dc7100, 2.6ghz cpu, 1Gb ram
    - Nvidia 8400gs
    - Happaugue 1600 (uses both analog and digital)
    - pchdtv 5500 (uses only dig tuner, the analog died)

I have mostly followed the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule - so I've been reluctant to upgrade from 9.04. But now that 9.04 is now longer supported, I guess it's time to do something. 10.04 or 10.10 ?

Because things have worked so well during the past year and a half, I have to admit that I haven't followed the forum very closely. I checked 1600's myth page (still need to check same for 5500) and didn't see anything that would be a problem with either 10.04 or 10.10.

I'm leaning towards 10.04, mostly because of the long term support (does that apply to Myth, or just Ubuntu?), but don't want to rule out 10.10 if it hasn't had many quirks/bugs.

Any known reasons either version would have a problem with the above listed hardware? I guess the same questions goes for which version of Myth to use.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter,
    10.04 Lts for me, have desktops on 10.10, when they are VERY stable I will upgrade.
    follow the instructions on the Mythbuntu website saving your database, and do a clean install, the upgrade online was not fun, I ended up doing a clean install and reloading my database with the channels and recording etc..
    I backed up to a USB Key, then if 10.04 did'ent work I could go back without the the pain, but it does and it's well worth it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

why not wait it out and grab 11.04 in a little over a month
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I jumped from 9.10 (Karmic) to 10.10 (Maverick) and I love 10.10! Its been steady as a rock and really nice and easy to install.

Looking forward to getting my hands on 11.04 but then if you think your machine is getting long in the tooth a LTS release (10.04) is probably your best bet.

Personally I always try a live disc before I do a full install just to be on the safe side.

Beans

A lot of my reservations stem from unsuccessful attempts to backup/restore the database. The early failures weren't that big a deal as I didn't have much time on the box. But this time it's almost 2 years worth of data that would be lost. This is the main reason I'm shying away from the upcoming 11.04.

I made cds of both 10.04 and 10.10, so testing out each in the live CD version sounds like a good idea. If I'm running from the CD, and want to test the recording capability of the tuner cards, how do I store the recordings? Does the liveCD let me setup a storage directory on my hard drive?

Does 10.04 or 10.10 include a simple (GUI) way to backup/restore the database?

Thanks for the input.

Beans

I have mostly followed the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule - so I've been reluctant to upgrade from 9.04. But now that 9.04 is now longer supported, I guess it's time to do something.
    In this case I can only suggest the 10.04 for you. This way you only have to upgrade each 2 years. (or even later)

Beans

I tried to just run as a liveCD, but it only proved the OS will load. It seems the only way to test myth this way is as a frontend only. This appears to require a running backend, which I don't have as this is the same machine as my main FE/BE. So I could find no way to start myth and test my hardware.

In particular I was concerned with my Hap. 1600 MCE remote. I'd heard about problems (some remotes) with the newer kernels (2.26.35 and later). The bug page for this doesn't show it resolved, so with no easy way to check this under a live CD, I guess 10.04 is the safer choice.

Thanks for the input.

Beans

I've done a clean install and restored the database several times. Although a couple of times this resulted a descent into "mysql hell". with help from the forums, I have always managed to restore all my recordings. Here's my quick synopsis on how to do this. Hopefully people more Knowledgeable than myself fill in where I am unclear, or uncertain.

The following assumes you have a separate partition for root. If everything is in the same partition, you will need to move your data and the operating system to separate drives or partitions before you can proceed.

First read the following page:
    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
    It goes into detail on how to use the backup and restore scripts.

It is helpful to know that there are two passwords you need to be concerned with. The first is the root mysql password, which is not related to Linux's root password. It is left blank by default, so don't type anything in the place it would go if it was set. I'm pretty sure this password is left unset in a default mythtv install.

The second password is the password for your database "mythconverge", where all your programs are kept track of. You can find out the current password for mythconverge by looking in the frontend settings under "general". You need to write this down before you start.

To backup the database, download the scripts from the page I gave you above. Run:
    echo "DBBackupDirectory=<DESIRED BACKUP DIRECTORY>" > ~/.mythtv/backuprc
    to set the directory where backups go. You need to substitute a valid directory path for <DESIRED BACKUP DIRECTORY>. Then run:
    mythconverg_backup.pl
    or
    perl mythconverg_backup.pl
    if you haven't made it executable.
    Now copy the database file which was just created onto a flash drive to be safe.

At this point you should also make sure you know where all your partitions are mounted. Use df -h to find this out and write it down if it is complicated. Also make sure you know the path of all your storage directories.

You can now install the new operating system. You will have to use the custom partitioning option when you install. Be carefull to set the mount-points the same as before, and to only format the root partition.

Once you have a working operating system, you can restore the database. Here are my personal notes on how to do the database restore. My understanding of this is not complete, and hopefully other will be able to clarify. You should substitute the database password you wrote down above for 'mythtv_password' in the fourth command. You can use perl mythconverg_restore.pl in place of the last command in lieu of making it executable.

1)Drop the current database:
    mysql -uroot -p -e 'DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS mythconverg;'

2)Create the initial database:
    mysql -uroot -p < database/mc.sql

3)Loggin to mysql as root <root mysql password> should be blank:
    mysql -uroot -p<root_mysql_password> mysql

4)set myth database password to the old password, replacing <mythtv_password> with the one you wrote down:
    mysql> UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('<mythtv_password>') WHERE user='mythtv';

5)
    mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

6)exit to bash
    mysql> exit

7)set path to directory containing the backup file:
    echo "DBBackupDirectory=<DESIRED BACKUP DIRECTORY>" > ~/.mythtv/backuprc

8 )restore the database:
    mythconverg_restore.pl

Now the data base should be restored, but there's a few things you still need to do. First check permissions on your storage directories. If they can't be written to, neither live TV or recording will work. I think they are supposed to belong to user "mythtv", but my half-assed way of dealing with this has always been to set their permissions to 777. Now go into the backend settings, and make sure your tuner setup looks ok, and storeage groups are set properly. I think restoring the database restores these settings, but I don't remember. Now you can start the frontend. I seem to remember that you get a setup screen when you start the frontend if it doesn't know the right password for the database. Set the password to the one from the old install, the same one you used in the forth line above. Now if everything worked, you should be able to watch your recorded shows, and record TV.
    Last edited by itlarson; February 28th, 2011 at 12:00 AM.

Beans

Having gone over the wiki a bit more, I'm wondering the restore procedure could be streamlined as follows:

1)
    mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database --create_database --filename <backup file>

2)set the password in frontend to the one you wrote down.

The directions I gave above must be out of date. They should still work, but it looks like dropping and recreating the database are now handled by the script.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have mostly followed the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule - so I've been reluctant to upgrade from 9.04. But now that 9.04 is now longer supported, I guess it's time to do something.
    I'm wondering why you want to upgrade at all. Is it to get a new(er) version of MythTV? Compelling additional features?

I run a 9.10 system and 0.23.1-fixes with the 1600 in my backend and 8400GS in my frontend. Actually pretty glad that I didn't take the 10.xx plunge and for a Myth system, I'm not too concerned with updates or being "supported". That said, I would eventually like to move to 0.24 and beyond, but not wanting to rock the boat since it's been fairly smooth sailing.
    MythTV BE: ECS A780GM-A, X2 240, 2GB, 40GB SSD, 2TB, (2)HVR-1600, Cable + OTA, 10.04 Server 64-bit, MythTV 0.25.3
    MythTV FE: P4M900-M4, Cel 2.0GHz, 1GB, 8400GS 512MB, 4GB CF, MCE, 12.04. FE2: AR3700, 4GB, 250GB, ION, MCE, 12.04

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast