Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install failure: Graphite G4 Tower

Beans

Install failure: Graphite G4 Tower

I'm trying to install 9.10 on a G4, because osX 10.3 server won't recognize the 500Gig hdd my friend installed in it.
    There's software you can buy to emulate the drive within 10.3, so I figure it's a software limitation.

Anyhow, no matter what I do (reset the P-Rom, hold C, hold alt, stand on my head) mr-fancypants-mac decides my boot CD isn't valid, and ejects it.
    The default disk is too big for a CD, so I burnt it to DVD, that got ejected.
    I downloaded the alternate via Bittorrent, that booted but the MD5 failed on one of the files at about 3% checked. After that, the CD was always ejected without booting.
    I re-downloaded the alternate via a mirror, checked it's MD5 before burning, and it matched the Bittorrent version. I burnt it anyway, at 8x & verified the data (NERO), but it keeps getting ejected, too.
    I'm quite befuddled.
    Any suggestions?

Oh, and as far as other distros go, I'm JUST feeling like I'm not a complete Ubuntu noob, but I don't really have the patience to start over in a less noob-friendly -nix distro, so, I'd count that out, as far as my options.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Install failure: Graphite G4 Tower

try Debian Lenny PPC netinstall
    Last edited by linuxopjemac; January 8th, 2010 at 09:44 AM.
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Beans

...should I try reformatting the HDD or anything? I really want to stick with Ubuntu, I don't have the ability to troubleshoot networking issues and hardware issues without a familiar starting point...

Would using Ubuntu even achieve what I'm trying to accomplish?
    Is it possible to also use a non-Mac approved graphics card, so long as it's AGP? I realize I'm kinda threadjacking myself.
    Thanks lads

Beans

...would I have better luck with 7.10?
    ... I'd start working my way back, but I'm running out of CD's.
    sidenote: YellowDog's DVD didn't even register as non-bootable, the computer skipped right over it and went to OSX.
    What is the bios looking for and not finding on these CD's?

Beans

Isnt there a size limit on that model of 137GB? anything over that wont be recognised. If you partition the drive so the first partition is less than that. It should work.

Google to confirm.

Beans

I wasn't sure if it was a hardware-level issue or not.
    Think a non-mac HDD controller would work as an add-in card? Or not, because it's x86 based?

I borrowed a friends' macbook and burned 9.04PPC w/ Disk Utility, still ejects the disk...
    I'm going to try this network install idea next.

If that doesn't work, can I remove the hdd, put it in a x86 machine under 9.10, and somehow do a manual install of everything essential, so I can at least boot it & get on a network to get the rest?

Beans

So, no go on the netboot method, the patched Yaboot doesn't like 9.10.

However, I am wondering about using the text-based openFirmware.
    I tried what I found on some mac forums "boot cd:, \\tbxi" , but \\tbxi isn't available on the CD. I'm assuming that is a typical file found on your average mac OS cd, so... am I missing something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

B_Free is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CovenStine View Post
    So, no go on the netboot method, the patched Yaboot doesn't like 9.10.

However, I am wondering about using the text-based openFirmware.
    I tried what I found on some mac forums "boot cd:, \\tbxi" , but \\tbxi isn't available on the CD. I'm assuming that is a typical file found on your average mac OS cd, so... am I missing something?
    I'm not sure about the 500 gig HD, but since your iBook is a PPC try
    http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/breezy/
    . Then upgrade from there. Only download the alternate CD because the Live CD doesn't have an install from the Live version. I had the same problem of having the CD eject from a Mac installed with a 10.4 installed. The computer with both 10.4 and Ubuntu 5.10 had no problem. The Ubuntu 9.10 still has the same downside of having to alter your screen size, sound, etc.

Beans

Hokay, so, I booted into both XP and Ubuntu, and neither o/s found anything with a filetype tbxi within the ISO's i have downloaded, and I did a cursory manual search of the 'alternate 9.10' cd, and didn't see any file that matches.
    I dunno if they're straight up missing, or what, but somehow the 'alternate 9.10' disk booted once, so, I'm miffed as to why it was temperamental/picky, or worked at all.
    Makes me think the only thing useful about this computer is the amazingly well engineered case...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast