Thread: Any ideas on installing linux on PS3 slim, dispite loss of sony support?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Any ideas on installing linux on PS3 slim, dispite loss of sony support?

Hey, i got a 120 gb PS3 slim, and i want to run Linux (any that will work "well") on it... problem is that the support that Sony provided for the PS3 "fat", was removed from the slim. I was wondering if anyone had an idea for getting around that, in obviously a safe way, or knew of anything that worked.
    -Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit
    river

Beans
    Distro

Re: Any ideas on installing linux on PS3 slim, dispite loss of sony support?

Bump
    -Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit
    river

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

From what I recall, the Slim ditched support for hypervisor (which is how you run Linux on the PS3, normally). At this point, homebrew devs would have to write whole new drivers to get everything going on that platform. Given all the non-Slim systems still in use, it isn't likely that homebrew for Slim will appear any time soon.
    Help yourself: Ubuntu Docs - Ubuntu Packages

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gsmanners View Post
    From what I recall, the Slim ditched support for hypervisor (which is how you run Linux on the PS3, normally).
    That's true, unfortunately, of course that's also why I'm asking...
    -Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit
    river