Thread: trying to install kubuntu, the installer doesnt show up..

Beans

trying to install kubuntu, the installer doesnt show up..

yeah, i downloaded kubuntu from the official site and i burned the CD using CDBunerXP and then I started Wubi! it showed me that Splach Screen and I chose installing it inside Windows. so I had to reboot. everything was working correctly till I had to choose between Live Modus and direct installation. I've tried both many times and I always get the same problems:

direct installation: it starts loading and then there comes a black screen but no installer shows up! what should I do? am I doing something wrong??

live modus: first it starts loading and then there comes a loot of colors and I hear that voice as if the OS is starting but that colors don't dissapear and I can't see anything..

what's wrong?? is there a problem with the new version? should I try an older one?

ps: it's my first time trying to use Kubuntu, but I reaaally like it and I would really appreaciate if someone can help me, cause I'd love to use Kubuntu!!

Beans

Re: trying to install kubuntu, the installer doesnt show up..

anybody any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Sounds like X is failing to start on your hardware. What video card do you have?

Your best bet is probably to install an older version. You could also try to install from the alternate CD (text installer) and try to fix the video problem after install.
    (Intel Core i7 860, 2x2GB, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L, Radeon HD 4550, Audigy2 ZS Platinum, Sonata) + Asus V6J + Lenovo IdeaPad U330
    YOU can make Kubuntu Lucid a solid distro | My Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GameManK View Post
    Sounds like X is failing to start on your hardware. What video card do you have?

Your best bet is probably to install an older version. You could also try to install from the alternate CD (text installer) and try to fix the video problem after install.
    thanks for the answer, first of all.

what is X ? the installer? if yes, yeah that's it..
    how do i find out which video card i'm using? i know i'm a noob

i'm trying 9.04 and the installer showed up one time from like 20 times and then my mouse/keyboard didn't want to move first and i had to restart and after that the installer didnt come up again .. damn, i was so happy it worked but this damn mouse -__-

what should i do? could you please write me how to install it in steps for noobs??

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by da_shadow View Post
    what is X ? the installer?
    X (a.k.a. X11 or Xorg) is the graphics system.
    Quote Originally Posted by da_shadow View Post
    how do i find out which video card i'm using? i know i'm a noob
    If you are currently running Windows, you can find out in the device manager (right click on My Computer, go to properties, it's on one of the tabs).
    (Intel Core i7 860, 2x2GB, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L, Radeon HD 4550, Audigy2 ZS Platinum, Sonata) + Asus V6J + Lenovo IdeaPad U330
    YOU can make Kubuntu Lucid a solid distro | My Blog