Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Google getting too big?

Beans

Is Google getting too big?

Sitting at home whilst watching a news story on tv about the new mobile phone from Google I was thinking about all the other services the're offering and began to wonder if they are getting too big and are wanting to take over the (computer) world!

What does anyone else think about Google? I'd love to know.

Linux_junkie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is Google getting too big?

Yes, they have. Not to **** PwnSt*r off any further, but I wrote an article about this:
    http://leifandersen.net/2009/12/23/w...are-too-large/

Should this be a concern? When a single corporation has enough power to make a country tremble, isn’t that going a bit too far. Even the once notorious Microsoft does not wield that much power, as both Linux, and Apple, but especially Linux (because I am also a linux fanboy, and have a thing against Apple’s draconian policies). Sure Google has a competitor, Bing. Google also claims that for every App that they have, their is a competitor that does the exact same thing, and Google goes the extra mile to make certain that you can move your data to their platform. To a certain extent, I believe them. After all, I’m writing this blog on wordpress, not blogger, because I believe wordpress is more powerful, and will allow me to grow more (once I get more than 15 views a day). Still, none of these services provide the integrated environment that Google does (Mmmm…sounds a little like Apple, doesn’t it).
    Did you enjoy this rant? You can find more at:
    http://www.leifandersen.net

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

yea. but they will get too big and fail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by felious_fadger View Post
    yea. but they will get too big and fail.
    Or "too big to fail."
    Quote Originally Posted by Legendary_Bibo View Post
    I tried, and by tried I mean I did a half a**ed google search, and by half a**ed google search I mean I typed "eread pdg"

Beans

I'm not too fussed about how big they are aslong as they arn't evil. The moment they start acting evil (IMO) I'll up and move to a non-evil provider (of any size) for search/email/etc

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Xbehave View Post
    I'm not too fussed about how big they are aslong as they arn't evil. The moment they start acting evil (IMO) I'll up and move to a non-evil provider (of any size) for search/email/etc
    but they will get corrupted. its always the same thing with businesses. they start off small and caring, get bigger, try to expand their market reach into other areas, spread themselves too thin with the over complexities that trying to dip into different markets instead of staying focused, start caring less and less about the customer, something in the company goes wrong, people panic, cracks appear and boom, everything falls down. repeat over and over.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yes. they have also become evil.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans

I'm more bothered about google's privacy policy than anything else.

If i could change the default search engine in firefox (ie knew how) I would

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I don't think Google is getting too big, for two reasons.

1. Some people don't use it (older folks sometimes don't even know it exists).
    2. You don't HAVE to use any of their stuff. It's just nice to use all in one place. There are lots of other similar services, sometimes also in the same place under the same logo.

If Google died today, something else would take its place, and there are plenty of good sites that offer the same services, so Google's only so big because we all like Google so much.

No one's making you use their OPEN SOURCE browser, or their OPEN SOURCE Operating System, or their nearly completely open source phone OS. Even for Linux phones there are more options than just Android (N900 could be one example).

I think Microsoft and Apple with their Zunes and iPhones that lock people out of their own media, as well as Windows and OS X and their "oh, the user's rights are secondary, so lets put it in legalize and hope they don't read it" attitude, are worth far more worry.

And I don't even think THEY are worth worrying about. People just seem to be afraid when they use one thing a lot, since everyone using one OS, one search provider, one anything can be bad for society. The simple fact is, this is not the case, and you can stop worrying until you start being forced to use a service from a company in your day to day life.

This almost sounds as silly as, "My whole family eats carrots- I hope the carrots don't come to kidnap us some day!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

They are gonna take over more than the computer world! Next thing you know they'll be offering space flights.
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/491537.jpg

Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast