Thread: memtest86+ with "error: file not found" grub 2 problem

Auckland, New Zealand
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

memtest86+ with "error: file not found" grub 2 problem

I tracked this down, eventually, but I would have appreciated if the forums had given me guidance, so I'm adding the post I would have liked to have found.

The Karmic
    /boot/grub/grub.cfg entries for memtest86+ generated by /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ have a problem if /boot is on a different file system than /usr. This is reported as and is reported as fixed in Lucid, but seems is not being fixed in Karmic.

If you just want to run it once, you can use the grub e command on an Ubuntu menu entry and note the "set root=" entry. Escape out of that and use e on the memtest86+ entry to add the same set root command on a line before the one that's there, so that it looks like, for example:

set root=(hd0,2)
    linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin

and run it with ctrl-x.

You can fix it in /boot/grub/grub.cfg but that will be overwritten the next time it is generated, or you can fix /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ to make it call prepare_grub_to_access_device in the way the other scripts do.

Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: memtest86+ with "error: file not found" grub 2 problem

i just noticed this too and i've been using karmic since alpha 3. thanks for the solution!

Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: memtest86+ with "error: file not found" grub 2 problem

Likewise memtest86+ has produced error: file not found since I re-installed Ubuntu 9.10 with /boot in a separate logical partition.