Thread: 10 feet computing WM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question 10 feet computing WM

All of these WMs are designed for up-and-close keyboard/mouse interfaces. Where's the 'media center' style WM, where a remote or even gamepad is used to control a simplified interface from feet away? Microsoft has an entire OS built around the idea, why doesn't Linux?

XBMC and other 'media centers' that currently exist are programs that sit on top of another shell that just run streaming video and play songs. To me that's not really good enough in terms of versatility since those aren't designed to open/run programs with complete transparency like a game console system, so gaming/browsing could also be done from a distance.

Sorry, I have a good computer, a comfy bed and a bad chair, and excessive amounts of cordless input dustgathering devices, and everything I find for linux is just a media player program on top of a shell.
    I USE THIS SMILEY because im a rocker!!! \m/ pantara and nerveina roles!

also yo-yo ma is great.

Beans

Re: 10 feet computing WM

Have you tried to make the font bigger?
    Desktop 1: Asus A8N-E | AMD Athlon +3200 | 2 GB Ram | Geforce 8500 | Windows XP
    Desktop 2: Soyo-KT600 | AMD Athlon +2600 | 768 MB Ram | Geforce 5200 | Ubuntu 10.04
    Netbook: Asus 1001P, Arch Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Aspect View Post

Have you tried to make the font bigger?
    I don't like big text.
    I like small text.
    .i coi rodo

Beans

Because you don't want a window manager, when worknig at a distance you want one window full screen.
    XBMC, mythTV, etc all support gaming/browsing/etc with remote/gamepad, they offer all the functionality of the xbox "WM" (unless they are lacking the HUD, i dunno I've never used them much), yet you dismiss them as not "WM enough". What you seam to want isn't a WM, it's a lack of WM + a pannel that can be summoned on a keypress, i'm sure just about any window manager can manage that.
    Last edited by Xbehave; January 7th, 2010 at 02:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

But if XBMC/Mythtv crashes to desktop (which is perfectly capable of doing so), that means you have to get up to the computer and start it again!

Also, by games, I don't mean MAME or emulators. I mean just any native program, like being able to start xjump by remote.
    I USE THIS SMILEY because im a rocker!!! \m/ pantara and nerveina roles!

also yo-yo ma is great.