Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skype doesn't show image and can't receive microphone signal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Skype doesn't show image and can't receive microphone signal

Quote Originally Posted by av8rbri View Post
    I am having issues with no vid in skype [running 8.04] ....... no idea what to do next?
    Thanks.
    @av8rbri: It would be better if you opened a new thread for this. Two questions in one thread is very confusing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by zanox View Post
    Hi to all! i've 2 issues with skype:

1) I made some tests and the webcams works, both other people and me are not able to see my image (any library for video decoding missing?). The cam works fine with cheese.

2) Integrated microphone doesn't work, whereas an external one works. The integrated microphone works with "sound recorder" application.

My is a Packard Bell netbook
    CPU Atom N270 @1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD
    O.S. Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10

Thank you in advance
    1) Did you use the Skype test as asked in a post here? Make sure the options for Skype Video and Start My Video are enabled? Do you have Cheese running simultaneously with Skype? If so, close it. It is hogging the video! Are you receiving Video? Sorry if that's been asked and answered, can't recall seeing a ref.to that.

Run gstreamer-properties in a terminal and set your video devices Output to X Window System (X11/XShm/Xv) not Xv, that will get the graphics card doing the work in lieu of the CPU working it's b...off. De-select Default for what the Device box offers. Video for Linux 2 (v4l2) in Input and that the Device is your camera, not default

2) That seems to be a Koala/Pulse thing. Either get rid of Pulse carefully as some of the packages are needed by Skype OR just grimace and bear using an external mic.. that is the easiest way to fix the audio out other than ensuring that your Volume Control is optioned correctly....it can be a devil and mute itself when shutting down/booting up.

I assume that you have no trouble receiving audio from the phone.

With my Athlon X2, I had to remove Pulse and always have the ALSA mixer open. A different story with my Presario CQ61 T3000 Celeron CPU as it was virtually plug and play with that Pulse monster.

It's well after the witching hour and I need my ugly sleep, I'll post some links later today, that may/may not be of use....g'nite..
    Some days are diamonds....
    Some days are coal....

Beans

Hi all, using:

export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && skype

on a console works fine on my Presario C735EM on ubuntu 10.4 64 bits, video problem is solved but its impossible to launch Skype from menu launcher with that code. What's wrong??? I am not a Ubuntu gurú so any help wil be wellcome.

Thanks in advance.
    Me interesa el futuro porque es donde voy a pasar el resto de mi vida !!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zanox View Post
    ok! Serching lead me to this:

"this is a know Qt4 issue
    you have to set XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS before launching a Qt4-based program"

chaging launcher to: "export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && skype"

it works!!!!!

now remain the microphone issue...
    This did the trick for me! Thanks!

Beans

Add this line in /usr/bin/skype-wrapper, before the line that executes the skype command

export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
    Worked for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
    Are you using the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 8.04?
    Then the path is slightly different:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

Also, i dont know that 8.04 has these compatibility libraries included by default.
    Thanks! This did work for me. I have had Skype working fine in Ubuntu 8.04, but it has failed in 9.10 and 10.04. I have AMD-64bit engine and Skype 2.1.0.82. The above works great. I can see video output in gstreamer-properties, but in Skype.

My next problem is to replace Skype starter in Desktop-bar. Internet->Skype. How can I alias that with LD_PRELOAD options?

Antti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pablotdl View Post
    Add this line in /usr/bin/skype-wrapper, before the line that executes the skype command

Worked for me
    Sorry? I don't have skype-wrapper. How do you implement this? Do you rename executable skype, which you call by /usr/bin/skype then?

Antti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Re: Skype doesn't show image and can't receive microphone signal

To implement this create a skype.sh file as thus:

#/bin/bash
    export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && skype

mark it as executable and point your launcher at it

(this is the first bash file I have ever made isn't it cute!?!?)
    Last edited by Protocol84; October 30th, 2010 at 06:51 PM.

Beans

1. make a new file from terminal

sudo gedit /usr/local/bin/skype-wrapper

2. paste the following lines in it

export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so
    export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
    skype &

3. change it to executable from terminal

sudo chmod 755 skype-wrapper

4. go to preferences > main menu > internet > skype and click properties and in the command textbox type

/usr/local/bin/skype-wrapper

After this executing skype-wrapper from terminal or clicking skype from menu item all works .. i have ubuntu 10.10 and needed both variables exported for the webcam to work ..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Is there any way to make skype use these commands automatically? Whenever I start up my computer skype starts automatically from being remembered from the last session and the video doesn't work.

I have made a startup script to launch skype at startup with the arguments, but then I have 2 instances of skype at startup, 1 remembered that doesn't work and is logged in and 1 that will work when I shut the other one down and log in.

IDK can I rename the skype launcher in /usr/bin/ and then make a script named skype that will launch the renamed original launcher with the arguments provided even when the program is started automatically by the system?

^^edit^^
    well that worked as far as making so I can just type in skype to the terminal and my video works, but still no video at startup, so I guess when it "remembers" it doesn't simply run the skype command to bring it back.
    ^^edit^^

Kind of a round about way of doing it I suppose... I am trying to find out if I can exclude skype from being remembered in my desktop session so my startup script will do the loading. There is a way to do this in KDE but I am still trying to find a work around for GNOME.
    Last edited by Protocol84; December 14th, 2010 at 08:15 AM. Reason: update

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast