Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Any thought on SuSE or other distros?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Any thought on SuSE or other distros?

Well, it's been a while since I posted here but I thought I'd provide a small update. I just finished installing Suse 10.1 and I'm amazed at how many of my problems have been solved. Sound works (but not the integrated nic). Out of the box, flash and various web video formats play. And the big green lizzard has been reeplaced by a soothing blue background ala osx. I don't think I'll be leaving Ubuntu but so far this is one of the few distros that installed and worked more or less flawlessly out of the box. I can't even say that for Windows.

Beans

I thought I would like SUSE, always have.

SUSE would have been my first choice until I learned of Ubuntu.

to my disappointment SUSE wouldn't even load on my computer EM64T Dual-Core

so I wasted 4 or 5 perfectly good CD's

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ubuntu is still my first choice but Suse 10.0 was the first distro that would install on my AMD64 computer. I finally got Ubuntu to work but never well (on my desktop, has always worked well on my laptop). However, Suse 10.1 is a big improvement and works even better (I have sound for the first time...yeah).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

To be honest I have a Toshiba Satellite and the best distro for me was Katonix (lacking english support in forums)

Then I installed SuSe 10.1 worked well, but same problem as Katonix.

I have tried Ubuntu several times but had a problem with my mouse, it would stop in the middle of a session. I figured the problem when I reinstalled SuSe 10.1 (needed to add a smp module) and now I am back using Ubuntu and it works like a dream.

Best distro if you want good ideals or support for your distro via forums. I like to test cutting edge applications, but would like some help fixing my mistakes.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213