Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any thought on SuSE or other distros?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Any thought on SuSE or other distros?

Wow! Lots of great info. That is why I like ubuntu.

I think I have pretty much jumped in head first. I installed ubuntu on two computers (one dapper one breezy) and tried to install on my desktop with no luck. I went with SuSE on a friends recommendation but it's giving me tons of headaches and I think I prefer debian.

I did pick hardware I thought would work. Everyone said nvidia is great as they actually release linux drivers. So I went with an nvidia board from Asus. Only problem is Asus doesn't seem to support linux as their BIOS is buggy and linux more so than windows relies on the BIOS (at least that seems to be what I'm finding out). I did complain and never heard back. They did release a new BIOS but it didn't fix any of the problems I am having.

I'm downloading Genie at this moment so I'll give it a try. I also have a knoppix cd around somewhere and pclinuxos too. I don't really want a commerrrcial distro - partly because I'm cheap and like the ubuntu philosophy regarding software and partly because I'm not sure what I choose will work and then I'd just be out the money (although the tech support would be nice but I'm also enjoying the learning process).

On the other hand, maybe more support of commercial linux efforts will help them to become even better. Maybe Bill Gates could donate a bunch of money .

Beans

Another great debian based distro is Kanotix, you can install it really fast, basically you end with a Debian Etch system plus some other scripts and enhancements (you have multimedia support out of the box).

SUSE is good to support hardware, I had a system with some raid configuration that only SUSE detected, so I had to use this distro for a while, but when breezy updated the kernel I made a fast switch because Ubuntu is easier to configure and to keep up to date, you can use apt with SUSE too, but my experience has not been so good, in some moment the system becomes unstable, YAST can do almost the same than apt but doesn't manage dependencies as good.
    Last edited by rubengs; February 28th, 2006 at 06:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I did pick hardware I thought would work. Everyone said nvidia is great as they actually release linux drivers. So I went with an nvidia board from Asus. Only problem is Asus doesn't seem to support linux as their BIOS is buggy and linux more so than windows relies on the BIOS (at least that seems to be what I'm finding out). I did complain and never heard back. They did release a new BIOS but it didn't fix any of the problems I am having.
    m.musashi, I did read that Asus does not support Linux very well. That's why I avoided them when I put togther my desktop system. My only regret was going with onboard ATI graphics. I installed SuSE 9.3 on it and it ran fine, but no 3D support. I just bought a 10.0 Eval DVD and will install that soon. When you add the repositories you can update to the Full version for free. Eval is free as well. Yast was a little tricky though. I think, for me its a good idea to be familiar with Debian and RPM base systems. I hope to be certified on SuSE by the end of the year.

My first Linux on this laptop was Xandros OC3. It resized my partitions and loaded up no problem. And it comes with a 30 day eval of CrossOver office.
    Last edited by DavidW2; March 1st, 2006 at 04:16 AM.

Beans

One thing you must know about SuSE is that uses a lot of RAM. It appears to use about three times as much memory as Ubuntu on this computer. (Typical numbers: 135 MiB for Ubuntu Breezy, 419 MiB for SuSE 10.0.) This is not a fancy SuSE installation. My two installations are similar: I have had both installed for about one week, and in fact, I have installed more stuff on my Ubuntu system. This fact could go unnoticed on my notebook, which is loaded with RAM, but start up `top' or one of the system monitors and you might do a double-take.

It also takes up more hard disk space, but the difference is not so dramatic.

Advantages of SuSE include:
    - Look and feel is very professional and slick. (I don't want to make this a KDE vs. GNOME thing; opinions will differ.) Default fonts look beautiful (better than Ubuntu, better than Windows).
    - It is snappier and more responsive to the user.
    - It has GUI config tools, which Ubuntu lacks.
    - etc.

Disadvantages:
    - yast < apt-get/synaptic (but apparently, apt can be installed and used instead of yast).
    - SSH server is enabled by default (WTF?).
    - SuSE does not have the equivalent of the Ubuntu Forums
    - Philosophy is less "free" than Ubuntu/Debian.
    - etc.

This is after just one week; I'm still learning.

Beans
    Hidden!

I would also recommend giving Mepis a try, its Debian based and has a huge repository of software which is just an apt-get away. Mepis also has one of the most slick KDE desktops I have used, and comes with an interesting selection of applications preinstalled as standard (Skype, GTKPod) Suse is a very nice distro but it wasn’t the one for me, I always seemed to be plagued with dependency hell.. Something I have never experienced with either Ubuntu or Mepis.
    Last edited by purdy hate machine; February 28th, 2006 at 03:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ok, I have a question which has nagged me for a while. Rather than starting a new thread, I figure I'll ask it here, since it's pretty much on topic.

There's Debian, and then there's
    ubuntu,
    Mepis,
    Xandros,
    Kanotix,
    KNOPPIX,
    Linspire,
    progeny,
    and a whole bunch more, listed here:
    http://www.debian.org/misc/children-distros

Why is it that when people ask about other distros, I see Mepis, Linspire, Kanotix, KNOPPIX, and Xandros suggested more than Debian itself? Is there something that Debian is missing? Is it just very vanilla? Why are these distros more appealing? I see Mepis suggested most, probably.

I understand that they each have seperate goals, but it just seems to me that I don't see many people suggesting plain ol' Debian.

Is there a reason for this?

Also, as a side note: It makes me mad that Debian doesn't have a live disk. I want to try it without installing it. Maybe this is part of it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Good questions nrwilk. I have wondered the same. I'm sure someone will correct me if this is wrong but I think plain ol' debian lacks the gui of the distors and of course the particular flavoring of each. An earlier post mentioned genieos. What I got from their home page was that they wanted plain ol' debian with the gui.

If that is not correct please clarify.

I did try knoppix live and pclinuxos. Both were less than successful. Both loaded fine but no audio and pclinuxos had a weird split screen effect where my mouse would go to the edge and the appear on the other side and moving it around "unpainted" the desktop to reveal the icons and on the other side painted over them. I gave up right there.

I'm anxious to give mepis or genieos. I'll give 'em a try when I get home.

DavidW2, I wish I had read what you read. I was told by a open source guru friend that abit and asus were good boards and I should look for nvidia chips. I was also limited by needing mATX and I wanted the firewire, 4 gig RAM option and onboard DVI so I was rather limited. I also didn't look around much and just assumed that one board was a good as the next. This was my first attempt at a custom pc and I just figured "how hard can it be?" Well, lets just say I'm learning exactly how hard it can be.

Thanks to ubuntu forums it's not been too hard and even rather fun.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by nrwilk
    Why is it that when people ask about other distros, I see Mepis, Linspire, Kanotix, KNOPPIX, and Xandros suggested more than Debian itself? Is there something that Debian is missing? Is it just very vanilla? Why are these distros more appealing? I see Mepis suggested most, probably.

Also, as a side note: It makes me mad that Debian doesn't have a live disk. I want to try it without installing it. Maybe this is part of it?
    That is at least part of it. I recommend Mepis for a number of reasons:

1. It is one CD. One CD, not fourteen. It's one CD that is a live CD. When you boot the live CD, you can play around with it. If you decide you like it, you can install it (while it's still live) by clicking the "Install Me" icon on the desktop.

2. The installer is completely graphically and point-and-click, and people seem to like that. The partitioner is also point-and-click (QTParted).

3. The OS center in Mepis lets you reinstall Grub at the click of a mouse. We have an involved tutorial on the Ubuntu Forums that involves the live Ubuntu CD or a faked install with a dismissed error message.

4. Mepis comes with a whole bunch of proprietary codecs that a lot of people like to have out-of-the-box. Debian (like Ubuntu) does not have these. You can install these, but they aren't just there, ready to use.

These were at least the things that drew me to Mepis when I tried Linux last year.

After a while, though, I realized those things aren't that important. I value the community and support at the Ubuntu Forums. Mepis Lovers just can't beat that (sorry). I like starting vanilla (but functionally vanilla--no Linux from Scratch for me!) and adding stuff on rather than installing everything Mepis installs and then later trying to figure out getting rid of all the extra packages and services.

Beans
    Distro

Aysiu, those are all excellent features which I did appreciate when installing Mepis.

Also, another really cool feature is that it auto-detects remote printers on the network. It successfully detected the printer connected to one of my Macs. That's awesome.

Well, I really like the SOUND of Mepis, but after installing it earlier today I wonder if I may have downloaded an old iso image. The install of Mepis I have has an older kernel (choice between 2.4.2 and 2.6.7) and an old KDE (2.3.2!?!). Also, even after successfully setting my monitor brand and model, I still can't get > 1024x768 @ 70Hz (although I doubt that it really is 70Hz, because 70 is right on the brink of toleration for me, and this setup hurts my eyes pretty bad. It's as if it were more around 60Hz).

Does this sound right? Did I get a really old iso?
    Last edited by nrwilk; February 28th, 2006 at 10:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Why is it that when people ask about other distros, I see Mepis, Linspire, Kanotix, KNOPPIX, and Xandros suggested more than Debian itself? Is there something that Debian is missing? Is it just very vanilla?
    Distros tend to add to debian, so reasons to use debian are fewer. If your talking servers then pure Debian is king. Red Hat, SUSE and Debian completly dominate the server market.

Well, I really like the SOUND of Mepis, but after installing it earlier today I wonder if I may have downloaded an old iso image. The install of Mepis I have has an older kernel (choice between 2.4.2 and 2.6.7) and an old KDE (2.3.2!?!). Also, even after successfully setting my monitor brand and model, I still can't get > 1024x768 @ 70Hz
    Yes, should have had KDE 3.4.3 and a later kernal .10 or .12 i cant remember off hand. I had to change my xorg.conf to get over 1024x768
    Last edited by stimpack; March 1st, 2006 at 12:35 AM.
    The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast