Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Any thought on SuSE or other distros?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Any thought on SuSE or other distros?

I have not tried a variety of distros but I can say if I was not using Ubuntu ( and I cant imagine not) I would install Knoppix onto my HDD. I believe this Distro is the next big thing if they ever move beyone live discs.

Beans

A distro that not too many recommend, and I don't know why, is GenieOS. http://genieos.toluenterprises.com/Home.html It's basiclly Debian Stable (Sarge) with all the plugins one would need - Flash, Java, codecs, Firefox plugins, etc.
    LongTooth
    Houston, Texas

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by LongTooth
    A distro that not too many recommend, and I don't know why, is GenieOS. http://genieos.toluenterprises.com/Home.html It's basiclly Debian Stable (Sarge) with all the plugins one would need - Flash, Java, codecs, Firefox plugins, etc.
    That sounds interesting but raises some new questions. Namely, what exactly is debian and how do ubuntu, mepis, knoppix, etc differ if they are debian based and where does GenieOS fit in?

Other than an interface that I find appealing and useful, what do I really want in a linux distro? Since all use the linux kernel, are the diffs really just cosmetic and the degree to which they are a complete product?

Almighty, can you install knoppix? I've only briefly played with the live cd. It seemed a little rough around the edges. Can you elaborate on its strengths?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by m.musashi
    can you install knoppix? I've only briefly played with the live cd. It seemed a little rough around the edges. Can you elaborate on its strengths?
    Yes, you can.

It's one strength which I know of is that it can detect and support more hardware than any other distro. I dunno what makes it good once it's been installed.

You can also use the live disk, and have a persistant partition on a usb key where you can save prefs and files. I do that for linux at school. Just carry the disk and the usb key around together.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by m.musashi
    That sounds interesting but raises some new questions. Namely, what exactly is debian and how do ubuntu, mepis, knoppix, etc differ if they are debian based and where does GenieOS fit in?

Other than an interface that I find appealing and useful, what do I really want in a linux distro? Since all use the linux kernel, are the diffs really just cosmetic and the degree to which they are a complete product?

Almighty, can you install knoppix? I've only briefly played with the live cd. It seemed a little rough around the edges. Can you elaborate on its strengths?
    Debian (from Debra and Ian Murdock, guy who started it all and his wife) is a LARGE, community-developed Linux version which has been around for over ten years now. Package management is done by apt (Advanced Package Tool), dpkg (debian package), or dselect. The package format is .deb (how things are bundled up with instructions on how and where to put things). Ubuntu, Mepis, Knoppix, GenieOS, et al. use a particular code tree (Debian Stable, Testing, or Unstable) for their own core of packages, and then add the dash that makes them different. Mepis was about a different installer, Knoppix was a LiveCD (boot from it and run Linux without modifying your other OS), GenieOS started out as Debian Pure but ran into trouble over use of Debian in name. Most all use a combination of own and Debian repositories to provide packages. Knoppix CAN be installed to hard drive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No one's mentioned PCLinuxOS?

Beans
    Hidden!

About SUSE, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS --> these are made by companies who offer a free version for anyone to use, but offer their premium version at a cost. You get a lot with the enterprise versions, likely including support, but Ubuntu is free from top to bottom. No missing features, besides non-free stuff which can still be installed, for free... Also peer support is awesome here, no need for professional support, although I think Canonical offers it (not free).

I'd go with Knoppix till you sorted out ubuntu probs --> maybe new dapper release.

I've heard you can make hybrid debian systems, maybe you can install knoppix and turn it from the inside out into ubuntu, maybe not.

You've got options at least, good luck!

EDIT: also, if you're building a custom computer, and plan to use linux on it, you should check for hardware that is sure to be fully compatible. Or, if you have chosen your hardware for other reasons, you should report and complain to your hardware manufacturer, and report to ubuntu-devel if you would like to help the cause!
    Last edited by nalmeth; February 28th, 2006 at 04:32 AM.

Beans

I like Debian and it's easy to find software. I still use Suse but not untill Ubuntu works on my computers.

Beans

I started off with Xandros, and really, really like it. Its Debian based with KDE. It is geared more towards a windows replacement, and so its meant to be very point and click - using it for 2 years on my business computers, I never had any reason to touch anything command line with it. Its a commercial distrobution, but they do have an open circulation edition too. The biggest draw back is no live CD - its an install only.

Beans

Jump in. Head first. Thats the only way you'll ever learn. If you think you can get away without stumbling several times along the way, think again. There really is no way around this part of Linux.

Having said that let me tell you its the way I and many others started out, gnashing our teeth and pulling out clumps of hair. But after a while it got easier. Learning about Linux is a lot like brain surgery. Once you've got the basics down, no sweat.

The above mentioned distros are all good. They all have their followers. But if you want you first shot out of the gate to be easy and enjoyable get a distro that installs with as much apps and plugins and what-nots as possible. If that's what you want, then GenieOS, Mepis, Ubuntu (w/Automatix) or one of the commercial distros like Xandros, Linspire, SUSE is want you need.
    LongTooth
    Houston, Texas

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast