Thread: Remote control for my Ubuntu coffee table.

Beans

Remote control for my Ubuntu coffee table.

Ok I am looking at telnet and ssh, and I think they may be what I want, but I would like to make sure.

I am running ubuntu in my new coffee table. It is pretty much a stripped laptop, mounted and running off an 8gb flash drive. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse, but that seems like overkill for most of what I am doing. It mainly sits here and runs through slideshows and videos and looks neat.

The wireless keyboard and mouse works great but clutter it up and it is a pain to program the thing while leaning over it. I want to be able to bring it up in a window on my laptop and program it sitting comfortably at my desk or on the couch.

I guess telnet or ssh would work, but I have a bit or reading to do to make sure. Before I get balls deep in that it never hurts to ask.

clickable images of said coffee table, it is running Karmic off a USB startup drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Remote control for my Ubuntu coffee table.

Might be evan more overkill! (if there's such a thing) lol
    How about a wireless VGA sender:
    Plug one end into the USB on your coffee table and the other to your TV set.
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/03/i...al-october-re/

lol!!

or use the -X or -Y flag with SSH on a laptop..
    Laters...
    Sol
    "Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere" User numbers: Ubuntu 23772 Linux 477911

Beans

Awesome. Tempted to buy a coffee mug with your table on it! =)

And yeah, you should be able to setup VNC pretty easily. SSH perhaps slightly more difficult, but not appreciably so. Either one would probably give you all the remote control you need - although I've personally had difficulty trying to VNC into a machine that was logged off, so SSH might be a safer bet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by estyles View Post
    Awesome. Tempted to buy a coffee mug with your table on it! =)

And yeah, you should be able to setup VNC pretty easily. SSH perhaps slightly more difficult, but not appreciably so. Either one would probably give you all the remote control you need - although I've personally had difficulty trying to VNC into a machine that was logged off, so SSH might be a safer bet.
    Whenever my wife gives me the camera and I have some time I am going to pull it apart and take pictures so people can see how to do it. It is really not that hard, just takes time and some wood tools.

VNC or ssh will probably be the way to go. I was trying to get a bluetooth network setup too. I got a few dongles for xmas, and while they work with headsets and cell phones I can't get the computers to talk to each other.