Thread: My new Bum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

My new Bum

I found an old post that said to install bum to disable power saving.

The reason I wanted to disable power saving is because there seems to be a problem with the AMD cool'n quiet disrupting mouse movement.

I'm on a desktop so I don't really need any powersaving do I.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for any info.

HD

Beans

Re: My new Bum

System> Preferences> Power Management?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

My motherboard allows me to disable cool-n-quiet at the BIOS level, you might check if you can disable it in your BIOS too.
    Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!
    Adventures In Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

humm I still have the mouse stalling every little bit. Perhaps I need to disable it at the bios.

I tried another mouse, unfortunately all I have are logitech meeces (mice lol) and can't try another brand.

It is really really annoying. I have a really fast system with 4 gigs ram and a phenom x3. The mobo is k9n6pgm2. The mouse does this in both windows 7 and ubuntu.

It doesn't start right away, it takes several minutes to start acting up. What it does is when you move the cursor it stops after a short move though I haven't stopped moving the mouse.

Then sometimes when I have been typing or something not using the mouse it moves to where I want it to, but then clicking doesn't do anything. so I wait and click... wait click... then eventually it works.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I couldn't find anything to change in the bios, actually, when I was in there I found that my nvidia chipset was only utilizing 64mb of shared memory so I changed that to 265. (the highest.)

I highly doubt that will change anything.

LOL

HD

Beans

I think you just told it to use 256MB of your system RAM. There was a big stink a few years ago about nVidea cards claiming to be say 256 when they were only 192 and the other 64 got stolen from system RAM. I didn't think they still did that. Or are they now claiming accurate numbers and doing this as a way to boost video performance further?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've no idea whether or not the numbers are accurate, but I do know that it has sped up my entire system like no tomorrow. The mouse still stalls, and I have no idea what to do now. It takes longer for it to start stalling. usually after I start typing in a forum or email.