Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Resume after Suspend on Dell Vostro 1000

Beans

No Resume after Suspend on Dell Vostro 1000

After installing 9.10 (AMD64 version) on a Dell Vostro 1000 for a friend, I found out that the system will not resume after suspend to RAM, all you get is the "Black Screen of Death", with no possibility to recover (hard power-off required).

While I only tested the workaround on a Dell Vostro 1000, it could potentially help other laptops with ATI/Radeon graphics that exhibit the same kind of freeze after a suspend to RAM. Also, I tested the 64bit version only, reports from a German forum indicate that the solution should also work for 32bit installations.

In my search to a solution, I found this thread in the now closed x64 forum: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...307618&page=29

Note 29 pages of problem reports, with a sketchy solution.

Here now, step by step:

1.) Go to launchpad an download the most recent Jaunty driver for your ATI video card. Here is the link: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archiv...-archive-extra

Download the following:

For 64bit systems:
    xserver-xorg-video-ati_6.12.1-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
    xserver-xorg-video-radeon_6.12.1-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb

For 32bit systems:
    xserver-xorg-video-ati_6.12.1-0ubuntu2_i386.deb
    xserver-xorg-video-radeon_6.12.1-0ubuntu2_i386.deb

2.) Now in your shell, type:

sudo dpkg -i --force-downgrade <xxx>/xserver-xorg-video-radeon_6.12.1-0ubuntu2_<yyy>.deb

sudo dpkg -i --force-downgrade <xxx>/xserver-xorg-video-ati_6.12.1-0ubuntu2_<yyy>.deb

Note: Replace "<xxx>" with the path to the folder where you stored the packages and replace "<yyy>" with "amd64" or "i386", depending on your architecture.

3.) Reboot the system and try to suspend and resume to see if the fix worked.

3a.) If it worked, you need to keep Synaptic from updating the drivers to the (broken) Karmic drivers. Do so by typing in your shell:

aptitude hold xserver-xorg-video-radeon
    aptitude hold xserver-xorg-video-ati

3b.) If it did not work: Skip 3a) and startup the Update manager to replace the drivers with the current ones. This should restore your system to the point before following this little guide.

As always: before starting, clone your system partition with Clonezilla and have current backups of everything. If Murphy strikes, you want to be prepared.

No guarantees, of course, but it did work for me. You may have to move the cursor after resume for a second for the "Enter password" window to appear.

4.) Please report if this worked for you and include your laptop brand / model and if you use 32bit or 64bit.

Beans

Re: No Resume after Suspend on Dell Vostro 1000

I think I love you. This got it working on my Vostro 1000 too! Think this would handle the 3d accelerator problems I faced in Jaunty? Probably not, seeing as how it's the same drivers, but I'll give it a try anyways and hope it'll work through some means I don't understand.

Thanks again, you're amazing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by powersurge360 View Post
    I think I love you. This got it working on my Vostro 1000 too! Think this would handle the 3d accelerator problems I faced in Jaunty? Probably not, seeing as how it's the same drivers, but I'll give it a try anyways and hope it'll work through some means I don't understand.

Thanks again, you're amazing.
    Thank you for the praise!

Since you are using Jaunty drivers, you are also "importing" all issues you had under Jaunty, as long as they relate to the ATI drivers. So unfortunately, I would assume that your 3d accelerator problem will still be with you.

Beans

Important Addendum

I found out that the two following commands in my guide:

aptitude hold xserver-xorg-video-radeon
    aptitude hold xserver-xorg-video-ati

will not prevent Synaptic's Update Manager from offering to update to the (broken) newer packages, they only work for apt-get. In order to keep the Update Manager from causing mischief, you should rather use the following two commands:

sudo wajig hold xserver-xorg-video-radeon
    sudo wajig hold xserver-xorg-video-ati

This will grey out the updates in Update Manager and prevent accidental update/breakage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Many, many thanks!! Been trying off and on for about a month to resolve this issue.

This worked on my wife's Dell Vostro 1000. I've been trying to get her to switch to Ubuntu, and this was the only real problem encountered, and it's kind of a big deal for laptops. We are using the amd64 version. (Initially had the i386 version on there, and tried the amd64 version today to see if that would fix this problem. It didn't and I decided to try yet another Google search, and this new post came up.)

I just hope that whatever the issue is, it'll be fixed in a later version so we don't have to keep using older drivers.

Again, thanks for your help.

Beans

This worked on my 32 bit Presario V2000. Thank you!

Beans

This also worked for me on my Compaq V2000 amd64 machine. Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This worked on my HP Pavilion - thanks! It was getting frustrating not being able to suspend or hibernate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Great. It solved the problem with hp Compaq nx6125 (ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955) with Ubuntu Karmic.

But, the same solution did not help with Lucid alpha dpkg throws the below error:

dpkg: regarding xserver-xorg-video-radeon_6.12.1-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb containing xserver-xorg-video-radeon:
    xserver-xorg-core conflicts with xserver-xorg-video-5
    xserver-xorg-video-radeon provides xserver-xorg-video-5 and is to be installed.
    dpkg: error processing xserver-xorg-video-radeon_6.12.1-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb (--install):
    conflicting packages - not installing xserver-xorg-video-radeon

Is there a different solution for Lucid?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sateeshpnv View Post
    Great. It solved the problem with hp Compaq nx6125 (ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955) with Ubuntu Karmic.

But, the same solution did not help with Lucid alpha dpkg throws the below error:

dpkg: regarding xserver-xorg-video-radeon_6.12.1-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb containing xserver-xorg-video-radeon:
    xserver-xorg-core conflicts with xserver-xorg-video-5
    xserver-xorg-video-radeon provides xserver-xorg-video-5 and is to be installed.
    dpkg: error processing xserver-xorg-video-radeon_6.12.1-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb (--install):
    conflicting packages - not installing xserver-xorg-video-radeon

Is there a different solution for Lucid?
    I have no idea - don't forget that Lucid is in the alpha stage right now, x.org changes are loaded almost daily. Let's wait for the final release of Lucid first - and see if the problem still exists in April.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast