Thread: ASUS M50sa Karmic Wireless HW Switch

ASUS M50sa Karmic Wireless HW Switch

I have been playing around with the operation of the wireless switches on the laptop. There are two of them FN+F2 on the keyboard, and the physical switch on the front of the laptop. I have been playing around with the /etc/acpi/ and /etc/acpi/event scripts and have found that deleting the scripts do not stop the function of the wireless switches.

Long story short where are the files that I would change to change the function of the wireless switches. Ultimately I would like to have FN+F2 turn on and off the wireless only (currently it does the wireless and bluetooth) and I would like the switch to turn off both the wireless and bluetooth (currently it does something different, not helpful, incorrect).

They give two ACPI signals so I thought that it would be in the ACPI events, those scripts didn't change the operation. I deleted them so I could try to find what makes the change. Couldn't find it.

Here are the ACPI Signals if you need to know.

5d, 7e off
    5d, 7d on

5d, 7e off
    5e, 7d on

Ultimately I would like to build some code that would send the info the libnotify. I can do that if I know where to change stuff.

I am comfortable changing driver files and can read code. I am not worried about losing the install. Just need help.

System Information:
    Ubuntu 9.10_86_64
    Asus M50sa

Wireless Card lspci info
    07:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 1100
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 32
    Memory at fe9fe000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
    Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [d0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable+
    Capabilities: [e0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting <?>
    Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number fb-52-6e-ff-ff-3b-1f-00
    Kernel driver in use: iwlagn
    Kernel modules: iwlagn

Thanks in Advance,

Re: ASUS M50sa Karmic Wireless HW Switch

Oh, almost forgot. The Wireless LED is not turning on and off either. I tried changing the value in /sys/devices/platform/asus_laptop/wlan but it didn't do anything. Help me with this too.

Lightbulb Re: ASUS M50sa Karmic Wireless HW Switch

Have you tried the workaround by Donatas Glodenis posted on Launchpad:

As for me, my notebook Asus A8F running Kubuntu 9.10 is also affected. I also noticed that, besides the need to correct the end of file /usr/share/acpi-support/state-funcs , the /etc/acpi/events scripts have wrong acpi event in my case, so I had to create a new file there and put this in it a corrected keycode 0000005d instead of the 0000005e or 0000005f:

cat /etc/acpi/events/asus-wireless
    event=hotkey (ATKD|HOTK) 0000005d
    and Filippo Carletti:

Kernel 2.6.31 introduced a small change in asus-laptop.c:
    instead of
    #define ASUS_HOTK_FILE "asus-laptop"

So, now, all asus-laptop specific settings live in
    instead of
    I have Asus N51vf and it worked for me, hope it will change your situation too.

Link to the original thread:
    Last edited by jeast; April 2nd, 2010 at 12:05 PM.