Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install Lexmark x2670 USB printer?

Beans

Install Lexmark x2670 USB printer?

Hi folks;

I have been unable to make my new Lexmark x2670 USB printer print anything on Ubuntu 9.10. I've tried Generic text only and several other Lexmark printers like the z700 but nothing prints for me.

Any suggestions you have are very much appreciated,
    Dale E. Moore

Beans

Re: Install Lexmark x2670 USB printer?

I wonder if there is some magical way to just make it print text without any fancy graphics or fonts?

Beans

Have you installed a driver for this model?

Check out Openprinting.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cjazz View Post
    Have you installed a driver for this model?
    Hi Cjazz; I'm sorry that I have been unable to locate a driver for this model. I wonder if Lexmark has a forum somewhere where they talk with their customers?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    Check out Openprinting.
    Hi Sef; I posted this at OpenPrinting, but have heard nothing from them yet.

Beans

---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    Subject: Re: Lexmark X2670
    To: Michael Hipgrave <mih57@ymail.com>

Dear MIchael;

I am DELIGHTED to hear from you, thanks for stepping around Open Printing's Forum's problems; I have had numerous with them too!

I'm going to step through your instructions here (and hopefully have a wondrous solution!)
    www.lexmark.com automatically re-directs to
    http://www1.lexmark.com/products/ has Find A Driver which links to
    http://support.lexmark.com/index?pag...gment=DOWNLOAD has several input, but one "Please start typing your model number to find your product", when I enter X2670 has a "select" link that gives me the error "Please try again. There was no product found for this model: X2670", but; also shows a picture of my printer and when clicked goes to
    http://support.lexmark.com/index?seg...dedDownloads#1 which gives several OS drop down boxes, one of which "Linux" has Ubuntu 8.04 selectable. When Ubuntu 8.04 is selected "lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh.zip" can be downloaded.
    lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh.zip is about 30 MB...
    I am all bristly with excitement! I've un-zipped the .zip and run the .sh and I encounter:

The installer has detected the operating system does not meet CUPS minimum version requirements. Please install CUPS version 1.2 or higher and run the installer again.

You have gotten me much further than anybody else has, and I very much appreciate it. I'll dig into this and see if I can find a way past (what I think is) the install script bug. If you have thoughts or ideas about this, I will very much appreciate hearing your comments!

Stay warm and safe,
    Dale

Beans

./lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh

gets to:

The installer has detected the operating system does not meet CUPS minimum version requirements. Please install CUPS version 1.2 or higher and run the installer again.

and here's where some of that is found:

root@judyaro-desktop:~/Desktop/Printer# grep CUPS -R x2670/*
    x2670/config/run.lua: install.setstatus("Checking CUPS minimum requirements")
    x2670/config/run.lua: MyInstallScreen_output:add("The system does not meet minimum CUPS version requirements.")
    x2670/config/run.lua: gui.msgbox('The installer has detected the operating system does not meet CUPS minimum version requirements. Please install CUPS version 1.2 or higher and run the installer again.')
    x2670/config/run.lua: install.setstatus("CUPS version ok")
    x2670/files_extra/readme:6. Manually adding the Printer in CUPS:
    x2670/files_extra/readme: 2. The open source Common UNIX Printing System (tm), ("CUPS (tm)") used in this driver is licensed
    x2670/files_extra/readme: To obtain source code files for the Lexmark modified CUPS licensed software, contact

I wonder if it will work, maybe the readme will help;
    Dale E. Moore

Beans

I grepped for CUPS, found it in config/run.lua and commented out the version check. the x2670 installed and printed fine!

Thanks to everyone whom helped!
    Dale E. Moore

Beans

After a 5 day wait I was delighted to hear from support@lexmark.com, but; thanks to you fine folks my printer already does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast