Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a backup program for Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Is there a backup program for Ubuntu?

Hi

I have a laptop with Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.10 dual-boot, on two partitions.

Someone in this community told me that I will probably need to backup my Ubuntu because Linux people make a new version of it every about 6 months and so I will need to reinstall my Ubuntu.

I wanted to confirm this and to ask what it actually means as I didn't understand it completely.

Also if I really have to backup Ubuntu, I would like to know if there is a special program which can do this for me by adding an extra small partition on my computer where it will save the backup. A similiar thing exists for Windows, called "Rescue and Recovery". This would save me from having to burn CDs.

Thanks

Beans

Re: Is there a backup program for Ubuntu?

There are quite a few programs that you can use to backup your system on linux, it all depends on how you want to do your backup, and what you want to backup. As far as backing up, it will boil down to personal preference, although people on here can give you suggestions.. I use dropbox to backup my documents and such.

Yes, Ubuntu does put out a new version every 6 months; in April and October. You can either reinstall for an upgrade, or there is an option to upgrade the system without a fresh install... Once again, boils down to personal preference. Hope this helps some..

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

better yet, next time you install ubuntu make a seperate partition for your /home, then you can make fresh installs but keep your data and settings, without needing to backup...
    Comitas. Brevitas. Nulla ambitio.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by oingk View Post
    Someone in this community told me that I will probably need to backup my Ubuntu because Linux people make a new version of it every about 6 months and so I will need to reinstall my Ubuntu.
    Ubuntu release a new version every 6 months, but you do not need to upgrade if what you have works for you, you do have a choice in the matter

The next version du next April, is an LTS version, which means it will have long term support and in that respect, it is likely that you would want to have it.

I'd always advocate a clean install when moving from one version to the next, but you can do an online upgrade just the same.

It is always a good idea to have a backup of your files in any event, never mind in preparation for an upgrade/new install.

There are several ways to do this depending on whether you want to back up your whole system, or just your own files, or specific directories. Start reading here

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/backup
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/category/backup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

In regards to backing up, I will check out "dropbox" that johnston suggested, thanks

Also I will probably want to install the April version since it will be LTS.

Since I am not so experienced and is possible that I will go through trouble when trying to make a clean install of Ubuntu, I guess I''ll go for the online upgrade.

Does this mean that I will be able to keep the data and settings of my current version of ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oingk View Post
    Does this mean that I will be able to kep the data and settings of my current version of ubuntu?
    Yes, everything should go ok and you will have your data and settings intact following your upgrade.

But note the word "should".

No one can guarantee everything will be all sweetness and light for you, it probably will, but no guarantees, hence the reason for backing up before you upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Good evening

I would also recommend that you create a separate partition for your personal data.

Then I would suggest that you back up your data regularly in the event of hardware failure or other unwanted events.

Try and have a look at Grsync for backing up data - it is available via Software Centre in Karmic.

Beans
    Distro

How about backup tools? or this suggestion (sbackup)
    Howzit! 8) Ubuntu User #21505 Registered Linux user #408849

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

In GRsync, when you choose the "Switch source with destination", is that the same thing as "Restore"? Any details to how this procedure affects your data?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by shuttleworthwannabe View Post
    How about backup tools? or this suggestion (sbackup)
    Going to give this a try...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast