Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: video converter from .avi to .flv or .mov

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    342

    Re: video converter from .avi to .flv or .mov

    I just gave all this great advice here a quick look, it seems that (from what I can figure, as I'm still not sure what it means to 'compile') it's saying this: download the source code?(which I did, from here: http://ffmpeg.org/download.html . I decided to take the advice of not installing it to the server, but use it on the desktop and upload the converted files. So my next step is..uninstalling anything that looks like it's connected to ffmpeg (in the synaptics package manager) because it's from the old vesion of ffmpeg? I guess compiling means to download the source code (so, newest version) rather than enable what is by default, in the package manager? Then I must do some kind of apt get or something (but be in the directory, in the command line, of where that download is.../home/desktop

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    342

    Re: video converter from .avi to .flv or .mov

    'You can either compile FFmpeg using the link mc4man gave you' That's what I did but I think I messed it up ..(please bear with me..) I followed these directions from start to finish ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=360 ) but got a few error messages along the way... especially with ones like this: sudo checkinstall --pkgname=yasm --pkgversion "0.8.0" --backup=no --default ...where there were more than one, I didn't know if I should just 'cut and paste' or if the dashes meant sudo checkinstall, THEN 'enter' and the next one, sudo pkgname=ysm and so forth... anyway when it was all done, I was able to convert an avi, to an .mpg using the simple command sudo -i filename.avi filename.mpg but I couldn't do any others (*.avi *.mov, or .flv etc.)And I really only want something to convert avi to mov or flv. Can I find out where I went wrong or...do I have to uninstall and do it all over again *sigh*

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    15,962

    Re: video converter from .avi to .flv or .mov

    do I have to uninstall and do it all over again *sigh*
    probably not

    To clear something up -
    each code box contains a number of commands, each one is a separate command and each line is to be used as 1 complete command
    You need to make sure you don't skip any and for the longer commands copy and paste carefully ( you can easily type cd, ./configure, make

    Booted up a fairly vanilla 8.04 and did the complete how-to - only took about 25 min on an older p4
    Got no errors, everything went smooth

    As far as what needed to be removed first - really only what's in the how-to
    sudo apt-get remove ffmpeg x264 libx264-dev
    If you were to be using the ffmpeg package to build off of then it's best to make sure no ffmpeg lib -dev's are installed (libavcodec1d-dev -> libswscale-dev

    If you got an error message during any of the various build and couldn't resolve better to post the message in context (ie. the lines preceding

    For now try a conversion that's failing and post the complete terminal output in a quote box

    Ex ( though here I'm just opening the new ffmpeg - no comm.

    doug@doug-desktop:~$ ffmpeg
    FFmpeg version SVN-r21005, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
    built on Jan 3 2010 15:59:57 with gcc 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu4)
    configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-pthreads --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-x11grab
    libavutil 50. 7. 0 / 50. 7. 0
    libavcodec 52.45. 0 / 52.45. 0
    libavformat 52.46. 0 / 52.46. 0
    libavdevice 52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0
    libswscale 0. 7. 2 / 0. 7. 2
    libpostproc 51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
    Hyper fast Audio and Video encoder
    usage: ffmpeg [options] [[infile options] -i infile]... {[outfile options] outfile}...

    Use -h to get full help or, even better, run 'man ffmpeg'

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    342

    Re: video converter from .avi to .flv or .mov

    Great! Thanks mc4man. so I was supposed to do: sudo chckinstall,(enter)
    sudo pkgversion, etc. not sudo checkinstall --pdgversion --pkgname=version ? Also, I see in the synaptic package installer a few ffmpeg things are installed, do I uninstall them: (libxine1-ffmpeg, gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg, and ffmpeg) Here, I tried to convert an .mpg to a .flv. lady@ubuntu:/var/www$ ffmpeg -i dand.mpg dand.flv
    FFmpeg version r11872+debian_3:0.svn20080206-12ubuntu3.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2008 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
    configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-pp --enable-swscaler --enable-x11grab --prefix=/usr --enable-libgsm --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --disable-strip --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaadbin --enable-liba52 --enable-liba52bin --enable-libdc1394 --disable-armv5te --disable-armv6 --disable-altivec --disable-vis --enable-shared --disable-static
    libavutil version: 49.6.0
    libavcodec version: 51.50.0
    libavformat version: 52.7.0
    libavdevice version: 52.0.0
    built on Mar 13 2009 17:48:10, gcc: 4.3.2
    Input #0, mpeg, from 'dand.mpg':
    Duration: 00:00:53.2, start: 0.110000, bitrate: 2912 kb/s
    Stream #0.0[0x1c0]: Audio: mp2, 32000 Hz, mono, 64 kb/s
    Stream #0.1[0x1e0]: Video: mpeg1video, yuv420p, 640x480 [PAR 1:1 DAR 4:3], 104857 kb/s, 25.00 tb(r)
    Output #0, flv, to 'dand.flv':
    Stream #0.0: Video: flv, yuv420p, 640x480 [PAR 1:1 DAR 4:3], q=2-31, 200 kb/s, 25.00 tb(c)
    Stream #0.1: Audio: adpcm_swf, 32000 Hz, mono, 64 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
    Stream #0.1 -> #0.0
    Stream #0.0 -> #0.1
    [adpcm_swf @ 0xb7ed12f0]Sample rate must be 11025, 22050 or 44100
    Error while opening codec for output stream #0.1 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
    It does create a file called 'dand.flv' but it has '0' bytes, and says 'stream contains no data' when I try to play it.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    3,713

    Re: video converter from .avi to .flv or .mov

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside5 View Post
    Great! Thanks mc4man. so I was supposed to do: sudo chckinstall,(enter)
    sudo pkgversion, etc. not sudo checkinstall --pdgversion --pkgname=version ?
    No. Each line is a single, complete command. Like this:
    Code:
    this line is the first command
    this line is the second command
    You should enter the complete line one at a time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside5 View Post
    Also, I see in the synaptic package installer a few ffmpeg things are installed, do I uninstall them: (libxine1-ffmpeg, gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg, and ffmpeg) Here, I tried to convert an .mpg to a .flv. lady@ubuntu:/var/www$ ffmpeg -i dand.mpg dand.flv
    FFmpeg version r11872+debian_3:0.svn20080206-12ubuntu3.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2008 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
    configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-pp --enable-swscaler --enable-x11grab --prefix=/usr --enable-libgsm --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --disable-strip --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaadbin --enable-liba52 --enable-liba52bin --enable-libdc1394 --disable-armv5te --disable-armv6 --disable-altivec --disable-vis --enable-shared --disable-static
    libavutil version: 49.6.0
    libavcodec version: 51.50.0
    libavformat version: 52.7.0
    libavdevice version: 52.0.0
    built on Mar 13 2009 17:48:10, gcc: 4.3.2
    Input #0, mpeg, from 'dand.mpg':
    Duration: 00:00:53.2, start: 0.110000, bitrate: 2912 kb/s
    Stream #0.0[0x1c0]: Audio: mp2, 32000 Hz, mono, 64 kb/s
    Stream #0.1[0x1e0]: Video: mpeg1video, yuv420p, 640x480 [PAR 1:1 DAR 4:3], 104857 kb/s, 25.00 tb(r)
    Output #0, flv, to 'dand.flv':
    Stream #0.0: Video: flv, yuv420p, 640x480 [PAR 1:1 DAR 4:3], q=2-31, 200 kb/s, 25.00 tb(c)
    Stream #0.1: Audio: adpcm_swf, 32000 Hz, mono, 64 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
    Stream #0.1 -> #0.0
    Stream #0.0 -> #0.1
    [adpcm_swf @ 0xb7ed12f0]Sample rate must be 11025, 22050 or 44100
    Error while opening codec for output stream #0.1 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
    It does create a file called 'dand.flv' but it has '0' bytes, and says 'stream contains no data' when I try to play it.
    You're using FFmpeg from the Ubuntu Intrepid repository. It does not have some encoders enabled by default. Encoders are the software that actually make the video. Some people call encoders by a different name: codecs.

    If you want to compile FFmpeg you can remove FFmpeg. Don't worry about the other packages that you asked about. It would probably be easier for you in the long run if you remove your current FFmpeg before you compile.

    However, if you don't want to compile, then you can easily enable the rest of the encoders and use your current FFmpeg by installing one package: libavcodec-unstripped-51. I am unsure if you have this installed already or not.

    FFmpeg is telling you what you need to do to remove that error: Sample rate must be 11025, 22050 or 44100. So in your command, add -ar 44100. So your final command will look like:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i dand.mpg -ar 44100 dand.flv
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; January 4th, 2010 at 04:41 AM. Reason: fix bad example

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    15,962

    Re: video converter from .avi to .flv or .mov

    so I was supposed to do: sudo chckinstall,(enter)
    No...

    each code box contains a number of commands, each one is a separate command and each line is to be used as 1 complete command
    Ex.
    for yasm ( the last of 7 separate commands
    Code:
    sudo checkinstall --pkgname=yasm --pkgversion "0.8.0" --backup=no --default

    The only way to make any clearer is this
    the Install ffmpeg box is done as such

    in the terminal enter this
    Code:
    cd
    then press enter on keyboard, after which enter this

    Code:
    svn checkout svn://svn.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg/trunk ffmpeg
    then press enter on keyboard, after which (the source downloads) enter this

    Code:
    cd ffmpeg
    then press enter on keyboard, after which enter this

    Code:
    ./configure --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-pthreads --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-x11grab
    then press enter on keyboard, after which (the configure finishes) enter this

    Code:
    make
    then press enter on keyboard, after which (the make is done) enter this


    Code:
    sudo checkinstall --pkgname=ffmpeg --pkgversion "3:0.svn`date +%Y%m%d`-12ubuntu3" --backup=no --default
    and press enter on keyboard to install

    Also, I see in the synaptic package installer a few ffmpeg things are installed, do I uninstall them: (libxine1-ffmpeg, gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg, and ffmpeg
    IF you want to use the how-to then you need to follow it from begining to end
    Quote:
    sudo apt-get remove ffmpeg x264 libx264-dev
    You also said you're on hardy, but you have an ffmpeg version from intrepid, what are you running

    Edit I see FO has answered while I was typing but am posting this anyway
    Last edited by mc4man; January 4th, 2010 at 04:14 AM.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    342

    Re: video converter from .avi to .flv or .mov

    So (sorry to be dense lol) It is 'sudo checkinstall --pdgversion --pkgname=version etc, all one line? 'You're using FFmpeg from the Ubuntu Intrepid repository' -by 'repository' u mean from the source code I downloaded? I thought that was the most up to date version and would iclude what I needed. All I know is, I downloaded a source code 'ffmpeg.0.5.tar.bz2' to my desktop, and then ran the codes from the link. I'm confused about where things were from installing from, if not from the new download. I think I will have to reread some stuff about what is meant by 'compiling', and repository etc. *edit* Ooops I see u just posted, thanks. I will do the whole thing over, the way you showed. And i am running Hardy Heron, server edition.
    Also, do I need to be in a directory called 'ffmpeg'? I was running these commands from the root, being at the root and typing ffmpeg -i etc.
    Last edited by Lakeside5; January 4th, 2010 at 04:06 AM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    342

    Re: video converter from .avi to .flv or .mov

    I hope u don't mind, I'll post each error message I get as I go thru the installation: sudo apt-get install build-essential subversion git-core..etc.) and at the end it says this: Package liblame-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    However the following packages replace it:
    libmp3lame-dev
    E: Package liblame-dev has no installation candidate

    and the 9th command (if I did it right) sudo checkinstall --pkgname=yasm --pkgversion "0.8.0" --backup=no --default : I get sudo: checkinstall: command not found
    Not sure how to enter code here: y@ubuntu:~/x264$ ./configure
    'Found no assembler
    Minimum version is yasm-0.6.2
    If you really want to compile without asm, configure with --disable-asm.(so I typed: ./configure --disable-asm hope that was right.
    Last edited by Lakeside5; January 4th, 2010 at 05:15 AM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    3,713

    Re: video converter from .avi to .flv or .mov

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside5 View Post
    I hope u don't mind, I'll post each error message I get as I go thru the installation: sudo apt-get install build-essential subversion git-core..etc.) and at the end it says this: Package liblame-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    However the following packages replace it:
    libmp3lame-dev
    E: Package liblame-dev has no installation candidate
    You are following the guide for installing FFmpeg for Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04, but I believe you are using a computer running Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10.

    I recommend that you use the Ubuntu supplied version of FFmpeg instead of trying to compile. Go to System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager and install ffmpeg and libavcodec-unstripped-51.

    Now you will be able to run your FFmpeg command:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i dand.mpg -ar 44100 dand.flv

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: video converter from .avi to .flv or .mov

    yep, WinFF is a nice simple GUI.
    if its from youtube n stuff, i suggest Firefox's plugin called
    video download helper.
    whic, after enabling the conversion tickbox in the options,
    downloads and converts most youtube like sites videos into a mpeg or avi or whatever - without you doing anything much.
    it dumps them in your home folder, in a directory called dwhelper.
    hth
    Mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •