Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: We need an add-on CD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We need an add-on CD

It breaks my heart when people post on here that they don't have internet access on their Ubuntu computers, but they want Xubuntu or some other random thing. They have a computer with low specs and no internet connection, but they can download something from another computer... but what do they download? They can't just start downloading .deb files and then hope to resolve dependencies somehow.

I know there used to be an add-on CD for Hoary (5.04).

Using the instructions from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AptMoveHowto, I've created a 432 MB .ISO for an add-on CD, but...

1. I would need someone (or several mirrors) to host it. My little website has nowhere near the bandwidth sufficient to handle multiple downloads of a CD image.

2. My add-on CD is rather random--it just has a few things I added on to my installation. XFCE stuff is there, so are some random other things like MPlayer and whatnot. I'd rather people have my CD than no CD, but ideally there should be some kind of consensus on what the "essential" stuff for dial-up or no-connection users would be to have on a second CD.

3. Even though the HowTo was generally easy to follow, that public key stuff just seemed like too much trouble to me. I tested out the CD on my test computer using Synaptic to add it, and I could install stuff--it was just marked as "not authenticated." While someone who's desperate for packages may not care, eventually it'd be nice to have something that's authenticated, even if not "official."

The .ISO is sitting on my desktop. Let me know if you're willing to host it, and I'll tell you a temporary location you can download it from.

Edit: Actually, I'm an idiot. My webspace can't accommodate even 432 MB for a temporarily uploaded .ISO. I don't know how I'd get it to people. Hm. This is annoying.

There is now a Wiki for this project:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnofficialUbuntu510AddOnCD

A preliminary version of an addon CD is available here:
    http://www.tikal26.net/ubuntu/
    Last edited by aysiu; April 4th, 2006 at 05:34 PM.

Beans

Re: We need an add-on CD

Yeah, I concur. But I do hope that these just remain "add-ons". I don't want Ubuntu to lose its image of being a 1-CD installer (and soon to be 1-Live CD-installer).

It would be good if there would also be a sort of community project to make these add-on CDs for these packages:
    1. kubuntu-desktop (includes, if possible, the kde metapackage)
    2. ubuntu-desktop (for those who have downloaded the kubuntu installer)
    3. xubuntu-desktop
    4. multimedia packages (without w32codec, for legal issues)
    5. gcc and build-essential packages (or anything else that is needed to compile and make from source code)

Something like these so that people can pick the ISO that they need. I wish I only knew how, or had the resources to host them.

Aysiu, btw, how about distributing it through torrent?
    (OT: I see you've updated our ubuntu user guide. nice! but your other links in your sig are gone... )

A thought, or rather, a link to a similar thought ...

I think the Automatix CD gang found someone to host their CD. If you PM one of them, they might be able to help.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=87382

So is your CD different from the downloadable DVD? I've seen threads where people built Xubuntu-desktop installations onto a CD, for use on older machines without Internet connections.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Fenyx
    Yeah, I concur. But I do hope that these just remain "add-ons". I don't want Ubuntu to lose its image of being a 1-CD installer (and soon to be 1-Live CD-installer).
    No, you're absolutely right. When I first started, this is what initially turned me off Debian. I saw that there were 14 CDs, and I thought I needed all of them for an ordinary install.

It would be good if there would also be a sort of community project to make these add-on CDs for these packages:
    1. kubuntu-desktop (includes, if possible, the kde metapackage)
    Well, I think the regular Kubuntu .ISO would work for this.

2. ubuntu-desktop (for those who have downloaded the kubuntu installer)
    Likewise, I think the regular Ubuntu .ISO would work for this.

3. xubuntu-desktop
    Yes, definitely! Especially since those computers with no internet connection are also likely to be older machines with modest specifications.

4. multimedia packages (without w32codec, for legal issues)
    5. gcc and build-essential packages (or anything else that is needed to compile and make from source code)
    Yes, and yes.

Aysiu, btw, how about distributing it through torrent?
    I don't really have a lot of experience with BitTorrent. How would that work exactly? Would it just remain on my desktop for the most part...?

(OT: I see you've updated our ubuntu user guide. nice! but your other links in your sig are gone... )
    Well, I just wanted to switch things up a bit. The links still exist... just not in my sig.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla
    So is your CD different from the downloadable DVD?
    I don't know, to be honest, as I don't have a DVD burner. And it would take me forever to download the DVD .ISO.

I've seen threads where people built Xubuntu-desktop installations onto a CD, for use on older machines without Internet connections.
    Can you point some out for me? Post a few links? Maybe my idea's redundant.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Okay. I'm looking in Synaptic, and I see bittorrent and bittornado.

Which would you recommend?

Beans

the reason why I suggested separate kubuntu-desktop/ubuntu-desktop add-on CDs was that the official ISO are full installers. To use them, you would have to install it over (and probably mess up) your existing system. But if I understand your goal correctly, that add-on CD you would be distributing is an offline repository in a CD. This would be useful for those who would like to test kubuntu/ubuntu/xubuntu without going through installation. (Am I sounding a bit confusing? )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To use them, you would have to install it over (and probably mess up) your existing system.
    The regular installation CDs can be added as offline repositories in Synaptic as well. You don't have to install it over your existing system.

Beans

Oh yeah, I overlooked that. But how about the kde/kde-core packages? Kubuntu doesn't install these by default, since it mixes up it's own KDE flavor. I'm presuming the same goes for GNOME and Ubuntu?

About the torrent stuff, I'm sorry I can't be of much help. I'm not really a torrent expert. But I think you have to make a .torrent file for your ISO. Then there are some "tracker" stuff that I don't know of. The only advantage of having that ISO in a torrent is that after uploading/seeding it for a few days, other people can take the burden off you by seeding. Of course, the disadvantage is that you would have to seed it yourself for some time.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    It breaks my heart when people post on here that they don't have internet access on their Ubuntu computers, but they want Xubuntu or some other random thing. They have a computer with low specs and no internet connection, but they can download something from another computer... but what do they download? They can't just start downloading .deb files and then hope to resolve dependencies somehow.
    I think this is a good idea. One of the more common problems I see is getting wireless internet adaptors working. Maybe a collection of common ones? But there are so many...

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    3. xubuntu-desktop
    Yes, definitely! Especially since those computers with no internet connection are also likely to be older machines with modest specifications.
    I second this.

These are on the install CD already.

http://mirrors.uwa.edu.au/ubuntu-rel...tall-i386.list

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast