Thread: Duplicity Progress Report & Logging

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Duplicity Progress Report & Logging

So over the past couple of months I've slowly been figuring out Duplicity backups in my spare time. They are really quite impressive and I would recommend it to anyone.

But I have run into a question. When Duplicity runs, it gives very minimal output of what it is doing. I have my backups being uploaded to a remote server and I would love to see a progress bar or at least get some sense of how much has completed.

I'm backing up many GBs and would love to have it just tell me something like 30% complete, or 35 of 3200 files complete or something along those lines.

Is there a way to do this?

I found this site

http://duplicity.nongnu.org/epydoc/d....html#Progress

There is a progress entry there, but I have no idea if that has anything to do with what I want. And even if it did, I have no idea how to go from there to a workable solution.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Duplicity Progress Report & Logging

Quote Originally Posted by NertSkull View Post
    So over the past couple of months I've slowly been figuring out Duplicity backups in my spare time. They are really quite impressive and I would recommend it to anyone.
    Me too.

When Duplicity runs, it gives very minimal output of what it is doing. I have my backups being uploaded to a remote server and I would love to see a progress bar or at least get some sense of how much has completed.
    Ditto. The {simple,kludgey} way I'm currently getting feedback is with the option

Code:
    --verbosity info
    the syntax for which is

http://duplicity.nongnu.org/duplicity.1.html#sect5
    > -vverb, --verbosity verb
    > Specify verbosity level (0 is total silent, 4 is the default, and 9 is noisiest).
    > Verbosity may also be one of: character ewnid, or
    > word error, warning, notice, info, debug. The default is 4 (Notice).
    > The options -v4, -vn, and -vnotice are functionally equivalent, as are
    > the mixed/upper-case versions, -vN, -vNotice, and -vNOTICE.
    I can then use that in scripts like

Code:
      LOGGING_OPTIONS="--verbosity info" # default==notice, "verbosity [may] be one of[:] error, warning, notice, info, debug"
      BACKUP_OPTIONS="--full-if-older-than ${FULL_OLDER_THAN}"
      DUPLICITY_BACKUP_CMD="duplicity ${LOGGING_OPTIONS} ${BACKUP_OPTIONS} ${SOURCE_DIR} ${DUPLICITY_TARGET_DIR}"
    function backup {
      for CMD in \
        "${DUPLICITY_BACKUP_CMD}" \
        "${DUPLICITY_PRUNE_CMD} \
       ; do
        if [[ -z "${CMD}" ]] ; then
          continue
        fi
        echo -e "${CMD}" | tee -a "${LOCAL_LOGFILE_PATH}"
        if [[ "${EVAL}" -eq "${DO_EVAL}" ]] ; then
          eval "${CMD}" 2>&1 >> "${LOCAL_LOGFILE_PATH}"
        fi
      done
    }
    That seems to be basically passing along the rsync messages, e.g. recording which files/folders are examined. It produces logfile lines like (excerpt)

A .
    A Google
    A Google/GECommonSettings.conf
    A Google/GoogleEarthPlus.conf
    A TouchFreeze.conf
    A Trolltech.conf
    A autostart
    A autostart/bluetooth-applet.desktop
    A autostart/deja-dup-monitor.desktop
    A autostart/evolution-alarm-notify.desktop
    A autostart/gnome-terminal.desktop
    I can then tail the log while duplicity is running to see where duplicity is in the file tree: better than nothing.

would love to have it just tell me something like 30% complete, or 35 of 3200 files complete or something along those lines.
    Me too.

http://duplicity.nongnu.org/epydoc/d....html#Progress [has] a progress entry there, but I have no idea if that has anything to do with what I want.
    That module looks like it's providing the --verbosity functionality above, but that's not really what you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thanks, that was a half decent start. I upped the logging level and I can at least get an idea now of how far it has progressed as I log that to a file.

Better than nothing. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Better than nothing.
    Yeah, but not much. If you find something better, please post to this thread.

Beans

Perhaps there is a way to count all of the items to be backed up and compare that with the total backed up. I'm not sure if you could execute this with a shell script, but here is the process that what i was thinking:
    -store the total number of files to be backed up into an array
    -store the files from the -v output into an array
    -count the two arrays and compare the difference
    -print the difference to the screen

Looks simple enough... Does anyone know if you can write something like this (I'm at work otherwise i would give it a stab)

Beans

One way that might work would be to run Duplicity with --dry-run and log all of the A and M lines, then have another script call Duplicity and read the A and M lines, compare them to the dry run, and display progress based on that. I haven't tried --dry-run before, so I don't know if it would take too long to do that.

Anyway, it seems like something that could probably be integrated into Deja Dup. Or has it already? I haven't used Deja Dup, so I'm not sure.