Thread: Porting software from a 7.04 LiveCD into 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Porting software from a 7.04 LiveCD into 9.10

Hey Guys,

So I bought this book "Hacking: The Art of Exploitation", by Jon Erickson(In case your curious ). It came with a LiveCD of Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty I think) setup just for hacking. I know that its just got a whole bunch of shell programs aimed at hacking,programming and examing code. My assumption is that the book is aimed at people using windows exclusively with no Linux experience, and since I already have Ubuntu, why run off a LiveCD with nothing installed when I could in my already installed version of 9.10?

SO my question is, is there anyway I can port all the extra goodies included on this disc into my current file-system so that I can still follow along exactly with the book but be in my native installation rather than on a LiveCD?

Ive thought about copying the /bin without overwriting any 9.10 software, but am somewhat apprehensive of doing so I havent done it yet.

Thanks Guys, any help given is appreciated.
    Last edited by CodeTBone; December 31st, 2009 at 09:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Porting software from a 7.04 LiveCD into 9.10

Bump

I would look for the latest versions of the goodies. The dependencies are not the same, so by trying to install them, it would worth more of a headache than it is worth.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro

Thats what Ive been hearin, just gona work off the CD for the time being.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CodeTBone View Post
    Hey Guys,

So I bought this book "Hacking: The Art of Exploitation", by Jon Erickson(In case your curious ). It came with a LiveCD of Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty I think) setup just for hacking. I know that its just got a whole bunch of shell programs aimed at hacking,programming and examing code. My assumption is that the book is aimed at people using windows exclusively with no Linux experience, and since I already have Ubuntu, why run off a LiveCD with nothing installed when I could in my already installed version of 9.10?

SO my question is, is there anyway I can port all the extra goodies included on this disc into my current file-system so that I can still follow along exactly with the book but be in my native installation rather than on a LiveCD?

Ive thought about copying the /bin without overwriting any 9.10 software, but am somewhat apprehensive of doing so I havent done it yet.

Thanks Guys, any help given is appreciated.
    CodeTBone, I bought the same book just a few days ago (newbie) and I can't copy any of the files to a USB drive. I don't have the root password - do you know it?

What a bit strange is if I type:
    $ nautilus .
    the file manager comes up but if I type:
    $ sudo nautilus .
    nothing happens except it asks my for the password.

It will let me copy files from the USB drive to Ubuntu 7.04 but I can't copy files from Ubuntu 7.04 to the USB drive. Can you or anyone else please give me some help on this problem - thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ic7805reg View Post
    CodeTBone, I bought the same book just a few days ago (newbie) and I can't copy any of the files to a USB drive. I don't have the root password - do you know it?

What a bit strange is if I type:
    $ nautilus .
    the file manager comes up but if I type:
    $ sudo nautilus .
    nothing happens except it asks my for the password.

It will let me copy files from the USB drive to Ubuntu 7.04 but I can't copy files from Ubuntu 7.04 to the USB drive. Can you or anyone else please give me some help on this problem - thanks
    It might be better to wait for responses in your thread. And by the way, 7.04 is an old version of Ubuntu.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    It might be better to wait for responses in your thread.
    ...Especially since this 2+year old thread is closed.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net