View Poll Results: Do you have sound problems in Ubuntu 9.10 ?

Voters
487. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, there are problems with the sound.

    352 72.28%
  • No, the sound works perfectly!

    135 27.72%
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 179

Thread: Sound Is Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala`s biggest problem ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bacau, Romania
    Beans
    31
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Question Sound Is Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala`s biggest problem ?

    Hi there to all!

    I`m using Ubuntu (and loving it) since version 8.04. I have tryied many other distros, like Fedora, openSuse, Mandriva, Linux Mint... but no one is better than Ubuntu.

    I loved so much 8.04 and 8.10 and I`m so happy that during the time many things got implemented, many beautiful ideeas and a lot of problems got resolved. I never had problems in 8.04 and 8.10 but with 9.04 and now, with current version, Karmic Koala... I hear, and it seams that the sound is the most used word in Lauchpad bugs...

    It`s true? Why this happens... I have a lot o f problems with the sound now...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    401
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Sound Is Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala`s biggest problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by premamotion View Post
    Why this happens...
    One word: PulseAudio.

    The good news: If you remove PulseAudio, most of those problems will go away.

    The bad news: Some people believe that "PulseAudio is the future of Linux audio". I doubt it because there are some conceptual problems in PulseAudio that keep it from ever working properly for the majority of users. Nothing can become a standard that doesn't work for the vast majority of users. Some bugs have not been fixed for months because the developers simply don't know how to fix them. The concept is flawed; the one-size-fits-all approach doesn't work. In the end, PulseAudio will go the way that ESD and aRts went before. ALSA and JACK are going to stay with us for many, many years, because in 99% of all cases they just work.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hamden, CT
    Beans
    649
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Sound Is Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala`s biggest problem ?

    I haven't had any issues with sound on either my laptop or desktop. However, Karmic installs great on the desktop. When I try to do the same here on this laptop, it is a complete different story.

    Hopefully all these issues will be fixed with 10.04.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bacau, Romania
    Beans
    31
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Cool Re: Sound Is Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala`s biggest problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by VertexPusher View Post
    One word: PulseAudio.

    The good news: If you remove PulseAudio, most of those problems will go away.

    The bad news: Some people believe that "PulseAudio is the future of Linux audio". I doubt it because there are some conceptual problems in PulseAudio that keep it from ever working properly for the majority of users. Nothing can become a standard that doesn't work for the vast majority of users. Some bugs have not been fixed for months because the developers simply don't know how to fix them. The concept is flawed; the one-size-fits-all approach doesn't work. In the end, PulseAudio will go the way that ESD and aRts went before. ALSA and JACK are going to stay with us for many, many years, because in 99% of all cases they just work.
    Tryed to remove Pulse Audio... but it seams that it has very deep roots into Gnome... in fact I`m not able to purge it completely, because with Pulse Audio goes also Gnome applets... indicators... etc...

    I tryed

    sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get install alsa-base alsa-tools alsa-tools-gui alsa-utils alsa-oss linux-sound-base alsamixergui
    sudo apt-get install esound esound-clients esound-common libesd-alsa0 gnome-alsamixer


    but there is no way to remove it completely... any suggestins?
    Why this version of Ubuntu comes with PulseAudio?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    401
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Sound Is Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala`s biggest problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by premamotion View Post
    I tryed

    sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get install alsa-base alsa-tools alsa-tools-gui alsa-utils alsa-oss linux-sound-base alsamixergui
    sudo apt-get install esound esound-clients esound-common libesd-alsa0 gnome-alsamixer


    but there is no way to remove it completely... any suggestins?
    There's no need to remove it completely. You can leave libpulse installed; it won't do anything unless the PulseAudio daemon is running.

    Many of the ALSA packages you installed were already there because PulseAudio uses them, too. Installing esound packages doesn't really make sense. I don't know any application still using them. Gnome won't even launch esound any more, so these packages will just occupy space and do nothing.

    I recommend installing gstreamer0.10-alsa, gnome-alsamixer, and removing gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio, vlc-plugin-pulse, pulseaudio. Open gstreamer-properties, choose ALSA as its default audio plugin, and you're done.

    You know, there is this rumour dating back to maybe 2003 which says that ALSA does not allow multiple applications to use a sound card simultaneously. But that's nonsense. ALSA allows complete control over the way sound cards are used. It does sample format conversion, rate conversion, channel routing, up- and downmixing, shared playback, shared recording etc. It can turn a PCI sound card and a USB webcam microphone into a single device, and it can turn a single 7.1 surround onboard audio interface into four separate stereo playback devices, running at latencies below 4ms. It combines all the features of the various sound systems of Windows (MME, DirectSound, WDM kmixer, ASIO) under one programming interface which PulseAudio will never replace.

    The only major achievement of PulseAudio in the past two years is to completely destroy the reputation of Linux as a platform for any kind of audio-related application. In a significant number of cases, including mine, PulseAudio just doesn't work out of the box. It crashes, it crackles, it uses too much CPU, it leaks memory, it messes up mixer settings etc. The bug tracker is full of PulseAudio bug reports. Some of these bugs have not been fixed for months and probably never will.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    7
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Sound Is Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala`s biggest problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by VertexPusher View Post
    There's no need to remove it completely. You can leave libpulse installed; it won't do anything unless the PulseAudio daemon is running.

    Many of the ALSA packages you installed were already there because PulseAudio uses them, too. Installing esound packages doesn't really make sense. I don't know any application still using them. Gnome won't even launch esound any more, so these packages will just occupy space and do nothing.

    I recommend installing gstreamer0.10-alsa, gnome-alsamixer, and removing gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio, vlc-plugin-pulse, pulseaudio. Open gstreamer-properties, choose ALSA as its default audio plugin, and you're done.

    You know, there is this rumour dating back to maybe 2003 which says that ALSA does not allow multiple applications to use a sound card simultaneously. But that's nonsense. ALSA allows complete control over the way sound cards are used. It does sample format conversion, rate conversion, channel routing, up- and downmixing, shared playback, shared recording etc. It can turn a PCI sound card and a USB webcam microphone into a single device, and it can turn a single 7.1 surround onboard audio interface into four separate stereo playback devices, running at latencies below 4ms. It combines all the features of the various sound systems of Windows (MME, DirectSound, WDM kmixer, ASIO) under one programming interface which PulseAudio will never replace.

    The only major achievement of PulseAudio in the past two years is to completely destroy the reputation of Linux as a platform for any kind of audio-related application. In a significant number of cases, including mine, PulseAudio just doesn't work out of the box. It crashes, it crackles, it uses too much CPU, it leaks memory, it messes up mixer settings etc. The bug tracker is full of PulseAudio bug reports. Some of these bugs have not been fixed for months and probably never will.
    I have the same problem. No sound... I had sound and then suddenly one day, much to my dispair nothing... not even a crackel. The question is how do you remove gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio, vlc-plugin-pulse, pulseaudio and then how do you install gstreamer0.10-alsa, gnome-alsamixer? Bit of a novis with Linux ams I. Thanks for the help.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bacau, Romania
    Beans
    31
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Smile Re: Sound Is Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala`s biggest problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by VertexPusher View Post
    There's no need to remove it completely. You can leave libpulse installed; it won't do anything unless the PulseAudio daemon is running.

    Many of the ALSA packages you installed were already there because PulseAudio uses them, too. Installing esound packages doesn't really make sense. I don't know any application still using them. Gnome won't even launch esound any more, so these packages will just occupy space and do nothing.

    I recommend installing gstreamer0.10-alsa, gnome-alsamixer, and removing gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio, vlc-plugin-pulse, pulseaudio. Open gstreamer-properties, choose ALSA as its default audio plugin, and you're done.

    You know, there is this rumour dating back to maybe 2003 which says that ALSA does not allow multiple applications to use a sound card simultaneously. But that's nonsense. ALSA allows complete control over the way sound cards are used. It does sample format conversion, rate conversion, channel routing, up- and downmixing, shared playback, shared recording etc. It can turn a PCI sound card and a USB webcam microphone into a single device, and it can turn a single 7.1 surround onboard audio interface into four separate stereo playback devices, running at latencies below 4ms. It combines all the features of the various sound systems of Windows (MME, DirectSound, WDM kmixer, ASIO) under one programming interface which PulseAudio will never replace.

    The only major achievement of PulseAudio in the past two years is to completely destroy the reputation of Linux as a platform for any kind of audio-related application. In a significant number of cases, including mine, PulseAudio just doesn't work out of the box. It crashes, it crackles, it uses too much CPU, it leaks memory, it messes up mixer settings etc. The bug tracker is full of PulseAudio bug reports. Some of these bugs have not been fixed for months and probably never will.

    Thank you so much, VertexPusher!
    Your point is very very clear and mature... I`ve done what you said and now Alsa is doing great.. everything with my sound, from playing to recording got resolved!

    Thank you so much for your intervention, and best wishes for the new year!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bacau, Romania
    Beans
    31
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Thumbs down Re: Sound Is Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala`s biggest problem ?

    And... I want to say that lately more and more people are complaining about PulseAudio... more and more... I think that`s not possible for so many people to be wrong...

    In fact, more and more people agree that PulseAudio is "the black sheep" of Linux...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    7
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Sound Is Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala`s biggest problem ?

    Act I
    Scene 5

    Indeed, however, having very little knowledge of how anything works with Linux, I admit my lowly state of ignorance as to how I might execute VertexPusher's council. Help me I would so very much like to have my sound back, and rid myself of the bonds of Microsoft monopoly. (Curtain falls)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    380
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Sound Is Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala`s biggest problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by VertexPusher View Post
    There's no need to remove it completely. You can leave libpulse installed; it won't do anything unless the PulseAudio daemon is running.

    Many of the ALSA packages you installed were already there because PulseAudio uses them, too. Installing esound packages doesn't really make sense. I don't know any application still using them. Gnome won't even launch esound any more, so these packages will just occupy space and do nothing.

    I recommend installing gstreamer0.10-alsa, gnome-alsamixer, and removing gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio, vlc-plugin-pulse, pulseaudio. Open gstreamer-properties, choose ALSA as its default audio plugin, and you're done.

    You know, there is this rumour dating back to maybe 2003 which says that ALSA does not allow multiple applications to use a sound card simultaneously. But that's nonsense. ALSA allows complete control over the way sound cards are used. It does sample format conversion, rate conversion, channel routing, up- and downmixing, shared playback, shared recording etc. It can turn a PCI sound card and a USB webcam microphone into a single device, and it can turn a single 7.1 surround onboard audio interface into four separate stereo playback devices, running at latencies below 4ms. It combines all the features of the various sound systems of Windows (MME, DirectSound, WDM kmixer, ASIO) under one programming interface which PulseAudio will never replace.

    The only major achievement of PulseAudio in the past two years is to completely destroy the reputation of Linux as a platform for any kind of audio-related application. In a significant number of cases, including mine, PulseAudio just doesn't work out of the box. It crashes, it crackles, it uses too much CPU, it leaks memory, it messes up mixer settings etc. The bug tracker is full of PulseAudio bug reports. Some of these bugs have not been fixed for months and probably never will.
    Thanks!!!

    Now how do I get PulseAudio daemon not running?

    ps: btw, anyone knows why Ubuntu chose to come with PA?

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •