Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 - No Desktop

Beans

Ubuntu 12.10 - No Desktop

Hello, all! I have just installed Ubuntu 12.10 on my new build and I look forward to familiarizing myself with everything Ubuntu has to offer. However, after booting up, I cannot seem to get my desktop to display. I have the wallpaper, but nothing else. I can open the terminal, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. I Googled a bit, but most solutions involved removing NVidia drivers, which I don't have. I will list my build below and I look forward to your helpful expertise.

AsRock 75 Pro 3
    Intel I5 3.1 GHz quad core
    DD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition
    WD3200KS drive

I am stuck on my roommates laptop, but will provide any requested information as soon as possible. Thank you again for the assistance!

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 - No Desktop

why would you install nvidia drivers with an amd card?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

I didn't. I was saying most of thr information I found related to nvidia drivers.

Beans

Ah my bad I must have read it wrong. How exactly do you open a terminal if you don't have a desktop?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Ctrl alt t

Beans

could you try using the terminal to get to a root prompt with sudo -i then opening synaptic by typing synaptic then removing unity and your radeon driver and reinstalling them both? or maybe try another desktop like xfce or gnome? worth a shot better than reinstalling. oh forgot synaptic was uninstalled by default do s sudo apt-get install synaptic first

Beans

When I open synaptic, the program begins to load, then closes. Terminal says "Bus error (core dumped)

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

try sudo apt-get autoremove unity --purge and then sudo apt-get install unity
    Lenovo R61i
    running ubuntu 11.10 and crunchbang #!
    registered linux user #453656

Beans

Ricky, gave that a shot. No change.

Beans

What radeon driver you are using?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast