Thread: problems with 9.10 in Dell Inspiron 1545

Beans

problems with 9.10 in Dell Inspiron 1545

Hi everybody
    Iḿ totally new in Ubuntu and I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 with preinstalled Ubuntu 9.04 which I have upgraded to 9.10, but now the working speed of the laptop (especially on internet pages) is much more slower and Amarok and Rhytmbox are not working.
    Can you please give me some suggestions of fixing this?
    Thank you very much in advance!
    Robert

Beans

Re: problems with 9.10 in Dell Inspiron 1545

Can you be more specific and explain what about Amarok and Rhythymbox are not working: Do they open? Do they open, but not play sound? Etc.

Is the whole system slower now, or just browsing the internet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just installed 64-bit Ubuntu on a 1545 and everything seems to work fine, but the only thing I have to compare it to is older systems that I had practice on before I ordered this for someone. Originally I installed Ubuntu on the hard drive after shrinking 64-bit Win7, but now I removed that and installed it on an external USB backup drive instead, since the person I ordered it for is not too Linux aware.

Its BCM4312 needs the Broadcom STA enabled, but it works better and is more sensitive than BCM4311 on an older work Dell laptop I have. I had no issues using Rythmbox to play music on CD or SD. I never could get DVD sound to work for Movie Player (totem), but vlc works better in other ways anyway. I am using real 64-bit flash for firefox instead of the 32-bit flash with wrapper from Synaptic (I installed ubuntu-restricted extras then uninstalled flashplugin-installer). Some sites like FoxNews with a lot of flash ads may bog, but otherwise Firefox works normally. I am not familiar with Amarok.

How are you connected to the internet?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by foldingstock View Post
    Can you be more specific and explain what about Amarok and Rhythymbox are not working: Do they open? Do they open, but not play sound? Etc.

Hi,

the Amarok and Rhytmbox are opening - I can see the media library, the system is indicating that the music is playing but I have no sound.

thanks

Robert

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by foldingstock View Post

Hi,

the system seems OK but the internet pages are opening much more slower and if I try to open the Places - it takes me a lot of time to opening a folder. Globally the system is working but much more slower comparing to 9.04.

Thanks

Robert

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by efflandt View Post
    I just installed 64-bit Ubuntu on a 1545 and everything seems to work fine, but the only thing I have to compare it to is older systems that I had practice on before I ordered this for someone. Originally I installed Ubuntu on the hard drive after shrinking 64-bit Win7, but now I removed that and installed it on an external USB backup drive instead, since the person I ordered it for is not too Linux aware.

Its BCM4312 needs the Broadcom STA enabled, but it works better and is more sensitive than BCM4311 on an older work Dell laptop I have. I had no issues using Rythmbox to play music on CD or SD. I never could get DVD sound to work for Movie Player (totem), but vlc works better in other ways anyway. I am using real 64-bit flash for firefox instead of the 32-bit flash with wrapper from Synaptic (I installed ubuntu-restricted extras then uninstalled flashplugin-installer). Some sites like FoxNews with a lot of flash ads may bog, but otherwise Firefox works normally. I am not familiar with Amarok.

How are you connected to the internet?
    Hi , Iḿ 0 Linux I had a 9.04 which works quite fine (I was not able to open the .rar files, but except this the things were OK) and now, after I have upgraded to 9.10 everything is a nightmare - very slow. The same web pages which were working fine - now are opening in a very long time. I have tried to select no graphic effects, I have mounted the OS, but the things are not very much changed!

Thank you very much

Robert

Beans

Given the problems people are having in upgrading to 9.10, I'd be perfectly happy staying with 9.04 on my new Inspiron 1545 if I could just have the latest version of Openoffice (version 3.1 instead of 3.0) and the latest version of Firefox (3.5 not 3.0). The default repositories with Upgrade Manager are of no help. Is there an additional repository that I could add?