Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: boot crash, the fix acpi=off turns off battery stats and suspend features.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: boot crash, the fix acpi=off turns off battery stats and suspend features.

Nice monologue . Is someone purposely deleting all replies?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I just want to say I was experiencing something similar to this with my Acer AspireOne D250.

I left it idle (plugged in) all night and when I checked it in the morning it was off. I have it set to never suspend/hibernate while plugged in.

I it on and it imediately turned back off. The only way I could get it to come back on was to remove the battery, boot without battery, shutdown, put battery back in, and boot with both battery and charger connected. Also, I have found that regardless of my power settings the computer still loses netaccess/suspends or whatever after 5+ minutes of idle on ac power.

What could have caused this?

Beans

mabonvin : no, no one else was posting.
    "It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amillionsheep View Post
    I just want to say I was experiencing something similar to this with my Acer AspireOne D250.

I left it idle (plugged in) all night and when I checked it in the morning it was off. I have it set to never suspend/hibernate while plugged in.

I it on and it imediately turned back off. The only way I could get it to come back on was to remove the battery, boot without battery, shutdown, put battery back in, and boot with both battery and charger connected. Also, I have found that regardless of my power settings the computer still loses netaccess/suspends or whatever after 5+ minutes of idle on ac power.

What could have caused this?
    try with acpi=off in your grub, as explained in the earlier posts. Or read your kernel.log carefully for any error messages, around the time when your computer acted weirdly.

Beans

Okay, so here's the latest on my acpi woes - after weeks of testing, i have some lead into the issues, although i need help from you all.

I boot with
    Code:
    acpi_osi=Linux
    in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Restarting the laptop, or resuming from hibernation or suspend all work fine, as long as it has not been like almost half-a-day since the laptop was on and working. If it has been like a long time since i used my computer, at the splash screen loading, the fan shows a sudden outburst of activity and then the computer powers off suddenly, if i'm resuming from a hibernation and if i'm just resuming from suspend to memory, the computer just goes off, after i hear a sudden fan outburst. This happens a second time as well, and only at the third power on does the splash screen goes through (no fan outburst this time) and i can log in.
    The same is the issue when I'm using a LiveUSB booting (into karmic).

If however, at the start I press ESC at the grub menu option, and select MemTest86, and run it till at least like half-way through the second test, there is no fan issue at the splash screen once I have canceled the memtest at the 2nd test (by pressing ESC), regardless of when did i last turn my laptop on.

I'm really clueless what exactly is running a memtest86 for a few seconds doing to my laptop which is overcoming the problems i'm facing while doing a "cold" powering on, after like 12 hours.

I have checked the core temperatures using lmsensors, and they go maximum upto around 46 deg C if i've been using my laptop for quite some time, and right after powering on my laptop after a long time shutdown or suspend, (when i am able to boot in after the inevitable power off), the temperatures are around 10-16 deg C.

Can anyone help me diagnose my problem? I will be happy to paste all the necessary outputs.

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sarthorks View Post

If however, at the start I press ESC at the grub menu option, and select MemTest86, and run it till at least like half-way through the second test, there is no fan issue at the splash screen once I have canceled the memtest at the 2nd test (by pressing ESC), regardless of when did i last turn my laptop on.

I'm really clueless what exactly is running a memtest86 for a few seconds doing to my laptop which is overcoming the problems i'm facing while doing a "cold" powering on, after like 12 hours.

I have checked the core temperatures using lmsensors, and they go maximum upto around 46 deg C if i've been using my laptop for quite some time, and right after powering on my laptop after a long time shutdown or suspend, (when i am able to boot in after the inevitable power off), the temperatures are around 10-16 deg C.
    Well, i actually noticed that whenever I ran memtest86 at the start for a few seconds (till halfway through the second test), my core-temperatures (using lmsensors) were shooting up and reaching the critical value of 85deg C once i had logged in, and pretty soon. Does that mean that running memtest86 turned off the fans, and as with acpi=off, it sort of gave me a "temporary" relief and allowed me to boot in (although it was obviously at the cost of critical core-temperature values in no time)?

So it definitely points to an issue with the fan.
    I have two questions:
    1)why is running memtest86 for a few seconds before booting switching off my fan?
    2)why is switching off my fan allowing me to boot in at the first attempt?
    3)why does a power on after a long time cause shut-off at the splash screen a couple of times? (and why do i hear all the sudden outburst of fan, which i don't hear when the boot goes through succesfully to the login screen?) - however, A POINT TO BE NOTED : after my core-temperatures had shot up to 82deg C thanks to memtest86, i RESTARTed my laptop, and now, again from the BIOS screen onwards, and even through the splash screen loading, i heard a loud fan (quite possibly cooling off the system) and no doubt, at start-up, lmsensors showed a 46deg C. (Normally, on powering on, there is only a very little fan burst, and obviously whenever the splash screen "drama" unfolds, there is that OUTBURST of fan at the splash loading.)
    Incidently my /proc/acpi/fan folder is empty. However, all this had never been an issue for like the last one and a half-years.

Beans

For those who have the same problem (i.e. no battery meter or shutdown ability when acpi=off) here's a solution.

Edit your Grub 2 linux boot script from terminal:
    sudo gedit /etc/grub.d/10_linux
    Find the line that reads:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="$GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT"
    and make it
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="$GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT pci=noacpi"
    Save changes and exit.
    Then update your grub.cfg file by typing:
    sudo update-grub2
    then
    sudo reboot
    If setting "pci=noacpi" didn't work, try the other ACPI boot options specified at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingACPI.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12