Thread: Hauppauge HD-PVR, MythTV, VCR Setup Question

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hauppauge HD-PVR, MythTV, VCR Setup Question

I've just gotten an HD-PVR (and updated the firmware to 1.5.6) and just installed MythTV on my 9.10 linux (which I'm a newbie with) and I've been reading the MythTV user manual and pages and the Ubuntu forums for the last 6 hours so I'm a bit burnt. I have installed ivtv and the last three lines of dmesg says:
    Code:
    [174371.691347] hdpvr 2-2:1.0: untested firmware version 0x12, the driver might not work
    [174372.001752] hdpvr 2-2:1.0: device now attached to /dev/video0
    [182369.949728]  CIFS VFS: Unexpected lookup error -26
    I only want to plug my VCR into the HD-PVR (using the front composite and audio connectors) and digitize a lot of old tapes. There is no (digital) antennea (or anything else) plugged into the vcr. When I try to setup MythTV input sources, it only seems to care about TV tuners and cable/satellite boxes. I don't even know if what I'm trying to do will work.

I start the tape playing and at the terminal I do and get:
    Code:
    me@melinux:~$ cat /dev/video0 > test.ts
    cat: /dev/video0: Input/output error
    I'm assuming this means the vid/audio signal isn't even reaching MythTV (although the MythTV backend is running - I assume, because it has a PID when I do ps -A). I try:
    Code:
    sudo killall mythbackend
    but it apparently just restarts with a different pid.
    I started MyhTV-setup and that kills the backend, so while setup is running, I do another cat /dev/video0 > test.ts but still get the input/output error
    Can anyone tell me if I can do what I'm trying to do (setup mythTV without access to a tv tuner)?
    Any hints on making the input/output error go away (assuming this is the thing to start troubleshooting)?
    I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Hauppauge HD-PVR, MythTV, VCR Setup Question

Well, apparently I missed a reboot/restart somewhere (though I don't remember any instructions telling me to do so) because on a lark, I rebooted my system and suddenly cp /dev/video0 > test.ts works. Sort of. The video is there but there are only some crackling sounds and no other audio at all.
    There is a forum message that says to enable Extra Audio Buffering in MythTV but I already had that enabled. And I wasn't running MythTV frontend anyway when it exhibited the symptoms. I'll change the setting, reboot and try again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

After the reboot, now there is no video0 in the dev folder.
    I suppose it's because I loaded it in Terminal before, but that doesn't explain why it reloaded after the last restart....?

Curiouser and curiouser...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

According to http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR, I checked that sudo apt-get install build-essential mercurial linux-headers-`uname -r`
    was still loaded and it was. Next I
    sudo modprobe hdpvr
    and got a completely different response in dmesg from a couple reboots ago:
    [ 1559.508333] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
    [ 1559.514934] usbcore: registered new interface driver hdpvr
    as compared to my original posting, it's not the same,,, whatever it is... driver?

Alas, this would probably be much easier in Windows. I want so much to move to Linux, but I find myself wasting so much precious time just trying to get things to work in Linux, nevermind actually being productive.

I give up for the night, I have to work tomorrow.

Beans

I am in the same boat, problems with composite input. I can get "cat /dev/video0 > blah" to work by following what I found here. I still haven't gotten mythtv to see it so any help would be great.

Re: hdpvr problems with driver, please help.
    Actually, the HDPVR does work with a non-hd source. By default the HDPVR sets itself to look for video via its component inputs which will contain nothing if you have a SVideo or Composite source hooked up. To change this, I typed in the following commands via a terminal window:

This command changes the input to the front composite input:
    v4l2-ctl --device=/dev/video0 -l --set-input=2

This command changes the audio to the front audio inputs:
    v4l2-ctl --device=/dev/video0 -l --set-audio-input=1

From then on, you should have better luck in getting it to work.