Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whatever happend to the android execution environment

Hybrid View

Beans

Whatever happend to the android execution environment

I remember how awesome i thought it would be to be able to run android apps in ubuntu.
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/26/c...-android-apps/
    What happened to it? I've googled it and I can find no mention of how the project is going, features regularly miss releases but they're rarely just forgotten about.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Whatever happend to the android execution environment

Why would you even want apps designed for a tiny screen cell phone to run on your laptop/desktop/devicethatisnotaphone?

Anything you can do on a phone, you can do on Ubuntu, using programs designed to run on .. Ubuntu. Except make phone calls I guess, but an execution environment isn't going to help with that anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Y'know i wondered the same thing...
    OMG! Ubuntu!
    Everything Ubuntu. Daily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Queue29 View Post
    Why would you even want apps designed for a tiny screen cell phone to run on your laptop/desktop/devicethatisnotaphone?

Anything you can do on a phone, you can do on Ubuntu, using programs designed to run on .. Ubuntu. Except make phone calls I guess, but an execution environment isn't going to help with that anyway.
    The idea behind it wasn't so much the "why" as the "we can".

Besides there are lots of reasons why having Android apps running in Ubuntu would be awesome and would a) widen the market for Android Apps and b) give users choice! There are plenty of android applications which i'd love to be able to run on my desktop.
    OMG! Ubuntu!
    Everything Ubuntu. Daily.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by joey-elijah View Post
    There are plenty of android applications which i'd love to be able to run on my desktop.
    Examples?

Maybe if the FOSS world would quit wasting time on projects like this, something worthwhile might be produced?

Beans

Examples?

Maybe if the FOSS world would quit wasting time on projects like this, something worthwhile might be produced?
    Yeah FOSS has nothing worthwhile to show.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ElSlunko View Post
    Yeah FOSS has nothing worthwhile to show.
    I meant in place of what amounts to a phone - emulator (which already exists - just use the Android plugin for eclipse)
    Without FOSS I wouldn't have a job.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by joey-elijah View Post
    There are plenty of android applications which i'd love to be able to run on my desktop.
    Examples?
    FeedR! I know the guy writing Naufrago! is hard at work trying to bring this feature back to the Linux desktop, but with the demise of Straw there are no offline feed readers for Ubuntu. FeedR is a nice little app that allows me to cache my feeds for offline reading in places where I don't have access to internet. If I could get it to run on my eeepc as well as it runs on my Pandigital Novel I'd be ecstatic!

Weather & Toggle Widgets! What's that you say? Ubuntu has a weather app built right into the Gnome desktop, which lives in the notification area? Yeah, but unlike the Weather & Toggle Widget, the weather applet doesn't know where I live. I have to go as far as thirty miles away to get "local" weather.

Aldiko and Laputa! Because as good as FBReader and Lucidor are these are ePub readers that work better and are easer to read with.

Those are just a few of the apps I love in Android, that would be well at home in Ubuntu, including ones that have features not available at all right now.

--bornagainpenguin

PS: Sorry for the necro, but I'd just remembered that this was promised and went hunting for it, when I found this thread, I couldn't let it pass...
    Have a Virgin Mobile USA smartphone?
    Check these guys out!

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

with honeycomb, they will make android tablets, so future apps might not only be for the small screen. I'd love to have these widgets, on my debian desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Examples?

Netflix. If the web version is going to be bound to Silverlight, then users can fall back to the Android version.

Edit: Uh, sorry. I just realized how old this is.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast